Keyboard-Error in Application after installing SP2 for Windows XP

Discussion in 'C++' started by Johannes Meyer, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I'm using an application created in Windows98.
    I get to run it on Windows XP while using SP1.

    After the installation of SP2 there are some strange errors.
    (In advance: the source-code is lost)
    If one is using a table into the application (It's like an excel-sheet)
    the error occurs:
    If you go into a field of the grid by using the tab-key and hit any key
    inside the field,
    this key is written multiple times into the field.
    For example: k = kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    l = llllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    each key with a different numbers of copies.
    This is related only to the first key.
    After the first one can write as usual.

    If you go into a field with a mouse-click, everything is allright.
    Also if the first key is esc or del.
    But this is still a bad workaround for fast working.

    Perhaps anybody can help me with this.
    I'm desperately searching which change between XP SP1 and SP2 is
    responsibel for this behaviour.

    It is not a matter of keyboard-options!
    And it happens on every pc I tried out.

    Any tipps?

    Best regards from Germany

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 3, 2006

  2. Johannes Meyer wrote:
    > I'm using an application created in Windows98.
    > I get to run it on Windows XP while using SP1.
    >
    > After the installation of SP2 there are some strange errors.
    > [...]
    >
    > Any tipps?

    Uh... How do I break it to you?... You're in a wrong newsgroup.
    This is a C++ language forum. Do you have a C++ language question?
    If not, we can't help you. You need to find the newsgroup where
    they talk about Windows XP.

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Hello Victor,

    > This is a C++ language forum. Do you have a C++ language question?

    the source-code is c++.
    I guess it has something to do with the sourcecode?

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Johannes Meyer

    Jens Theisen Guest

    Re: Keyboard-Error in Application after installing SP2 for WindowsXP

    Johannes Meyer wrote:
    > the source-code is c++.
    > I guess it has something to do with the sourcecode?

    Maybe, but only Microsoft has access to it. Even if we had access to it,
    this is a forum focusing on the language, not on bugs in certain products.

    Please note that most newsgroups have posting policies and FAQs
    associated to them; this one tells you at the end of every posting.
    Please read up on this first, as we get a lot of postings that are
    off-topic here.

    Best regards,

    Jens
    Jens Theisen, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Hello Jens,

    so I am sorry.

    Jens Theisen schrieb:

    > Maybe, but only Microsoft has access to it

    I guess not. I think they are not very interestet in the source-code of
    my application.

    I thought somebody has come around this problem while programming in
    c++
    That's the reason why I'm posting in this group.

    > this is a forum focusing on the language, not on bugs in certain products.

    But I would be thankful for a group which can help me with a C++ bug in
    my application.

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 3, 2006
  6. Johannes Meyer

    Johannes Meyer wrote:
    >>Maybe, but only Microsoft has access to it

    > I guess not. I think they are not very interestet in the source-code of
    > my application.

    Sorry, I didn't read you posting carefully enough.

    In principle, there surely are windows programming newsgroups, but
    without any source there isn't much you can do about it anyway.

    > But I would be thankful for a group which can help me with a C++ bug in
    > my application.

    Even if you knew a change in the API that caused this, what would you do
    about it without sources?

    Jens
    Jens Theisen, Sep 3, 2006
  7. Hello Jens,

    my Idea is that:

    I desperately need to do something about this problem.
    So I would try anything.

    I thougt: If there is any idea what part of the source-code is
    responsible,
    one can find out, which part of the SP2 would do the harm.

    And then I have something I could hold on.
    I had some luck with this program with another problem through copy
    some windows-file in the program-folder.

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 3, 2006
  8. Johannes Meyer

    Kai-Uwe Bux Guest

    Johannes Meyer wrote:

    > Hello Jens,
    >
    > my Idea is that:
    >
    > I desperately need to do something about this problem.
    > So I would try anything.
    >
    > I thougt: If there is any idea what part of the source-code is
    > responsible,
    > one can find out, which part of the SP2 would do the harm.

    a) We do not even know what parts the lost source has.
    b) Even if we did: what change in Windows could affect the program, is not
    topical here.

    > And then I have something I could hold on.
    > I had some luck with this program with another problem through copy
    > some windows-file in the program-folder.

    Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

    Best

    Kai-Uwe Bux
    Kai-Uwe Bux, Sep 3, 2006

  9. > Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

    I did.
    They say it is a c++ problem which is not topic in windows.
    Of course it is a problem of c++ there
    and it is a problem of windows here.

    So I see I'm on my own again.

    And I don't want to annoy you with c++-problems.

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 3, 2006
  10. On 3 Sep 2006 10:43:18 -0700, "Johannes Meyer" <>
    wrote:
    >> Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

    >I did.
    >They say it is a c++ problem which is not topic in windows.
    >Of course it is a problem of c++ there
    >and it is a problem of windows here.
    >So I see I'm on my own again.

    Try on of those (esp. the Visual C++ / MFC forum):
    http://www.codeproject.com/script/comments/forums.asp
    Roland Pibinger, Sep 3, 2006
  11. Johannes Meyer

    Kai-Uwe Bux Guest

    Johannes Meyer wrote:

    >> Ask in a windows group about known problems with upgrading to SP2.

    > I did.
    > They say it is a c++ problem which is not topic in windows.
    > Of course it is a problem of c++ there
    > and it is a problem of windows here.
    >
    > So I see I'm on my own again.
    >
    > And I don't want to annoy you with c++-problems.

    You are not annoying us with a c++ problem: as long as there is no source,
    there is no C++ problem.

    Think about it: How are we supposed to say anything meaningful without the
    slightest clue as to what the C++ code of this program looks like? For all
    intents and purposes, you have a problem with an executable binary. It is
    immaterial that you happen to know your binary came from C++ source code.
    All possible C++ clues as to what could cause your problem have been lost
    with the source.

    Best

    Kai-Uwe Bux
    Kai-Uwe Bux, Sep 3, 2006
  12. Hi,

    > immaterial that you happen to know your binary came from C++ source code.

    to be more specific:

    there are only remaining fragments of the source-code.
    Some parts are missing and compiling again run into errors.

    I know the programmer by myself, I sat behind him some time while he
    was programming.
    I'm quite sure it is C++.

    What I want to say with "The source code is lost" is, that there is no
    way for a resolution by changing the source code because some parts of
    the source code are lost. And the programmer is lost to. I tried to
    find him for five years now.

    As long as I don't know which part causes this error I think it is
    useless to post any lines of the code.

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 4, 2006
  13. Johannes Meyer wrote:
    >> immaterial that you happen to know your binary came from C++ source
    >> code.

    > to be more specific:
    >
    > there are only remaining fragments of the source-code.
    > Some parts are missing and compiling again run into errors.
    >
    > I know the programmer by myself, I sat behind him some time while he
    > was programming.
    > I'm quite sure it is C++.
    >
    > What I want to say with "The source code is lost" is, that there is no
    > way for a resolution by changing the source code because some parts of
    > the source code are lost. And the programmer is lost to. I tried to
    > find him for five years now.
    >
    > As long as I don't know which part causes this error I think it is
    > useless to post any lines of the code.

    You're absolutely correct. It's useless to post fragments if you are
    unable to resurrect the entire program from them. But please understand
    this too: it's useless to discuss any behaviour of your program *without*
    the code. It's also useless to post questions about Windows XP SP2 here.
    They are simply off-topic. It seems you have no solution... But, wait!

    You have a solution: get somebody to write the program again for you. If
    your program works somewhere (like Windows 2K or NT) you could try to
    find a willing and able programmer who might want (for some compensation)
    to [re]create the program by looking at the working executable and at the
    remains of the source code. It's called "reverse engineering" or "work
    from a prototype". You're strongly advised to work out P&L statement
    before embarking in that direction. Reverse engineering is costly.

    Good luck!

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 5, 2006
  14. Dear Roland,

    > http://www.codeproject.com/script/comments/forums.asp

    many, many thanks for this group.
    I don't even need to ask any questions in this c++ group.
    Even looking around there was the solution for my problem.
    Anythink is allright now.

    Greetings from Germany

    Johannes
    Johannes Meyer, Sep 5, 2006