Keyboard Event Trapping without GUI

Arun Hariharan

I am trying to write an application that will run on console and will
not have any GUI whatsoever. Once the program in run i want it to keep
listening for keyboard event and just print them on console as they
happen.

expected output-
up arrow key
return key
tab key
3
F1
left key .....

Can I use java.awt to do this? Can awt work without applet or any GUI
component?
Is there some other package that i should be using instead?
Is there is resource online/book you can refer me to where I can learn
how to do this?
I need a direction to go in and dont expect any code help. Please help.

Arun