    2. do updates to these require iis stop/start/reset to avoid the server from
    dishing up cached pages?

    Thanks!!

    Chris D, Feb 11, 2010

  2. Chris,

    Assuming your application is not pre-compiled (otherwise you wouldn't be
    able to update an aspx page) updated to the aspx pages and css files will
    not kill sessions. Updates to the web.config file do reset the application
    pool and will indeed kill the sessions.

    If you need to have sessions continue within your application even when the
    application is updated you may do a few different things:

    Don't use sessions (probably not an option)

    Store sessions on a session state server:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h6bb9cz9(VS.71).aspx

    Or move sessions to a SQL Server:
    http://idunno.org/articles/277.aspx

    --