kind of newbie question in java applete and sites

Discussion in 'Java' started by ali, May 10, 2005.

  1. ali

    ali Guest

    well i see you are disscussing very advance things in java here so i
    feel strange to ask such a simple question here

    but hope i will get un answer

    ok here it is my question

    let say i am running my java applet on a site
    www.yourname.com/mypage.html

    ok and i have a file whichs path is www.tourname.com/info.txt

    so can i modify this file

    if (no) { why; }

    if (yes ){ how; && why; }

    hope i will get my help here and thanks in advance
    ali, May 10, 2005

  2. ali

    ali Guest

    !!! any one
    ali, May 11, 2005

  3. ali

    Ross Bamford Guest

    On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:21 -0700, ali wrote:
    > well i see you are disscussing very advance things in java here so i
    > feel strange to ask such a simple question here
    >
    > but hope i will get un answer
    >
    > ok here it is my question
    >
    > let say i am running my java applet on a site
    > www.yourname.com/mypage.html
    >
    > ok and i have a file whichs path is www.tourname.com/info.txt
    >
    > so can i modify this file
    >
    > if (no) { why; }
    >
    > if (yes ){ how; && why; }
    >

    > hope i will get my help here and thanks in advance

    short answer: no. The applet is running on the client computer.

    Long answer: Of course you could setup your server so that one can
    modify that url, and then do it that way in your applet using a
    URLConnection / Stream.

    Applets are restricted in their network access but IIRC they are allowed
    connections to their serving server, so as long as the applet comes from
    the same server...

    This can also be changed I think but can't remember how ...

    So yes, but with configuration outside Java too.
    --
    [Ross A. Bamford] [ross AT the.website.domain]
    Roscopeco Open Tech ++ Open Source + Java + Apache + CMF
    Ross Bamford, May 11, 2005