LAN strategy (Android)

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

What's the best way to do this?

I have to read from a LAN using UDP.
I open a socket by doing a name lookup (the name of a PC I want to
connect to) and port number as the app starts.

In a thread I loop around reading the socket for messages and act on them.

The problem is what do I do if I cannot access the LAN on startup and so
miss getting the name/address? As far as I can see the app sits there
doing nothing even if the LAN becomes available.

Alternatively, do I put the name/address lookup in the thread loop, and
if so, how?

Roedy Green

What's the best way to do this?

get the book with the three trains on the cover. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/thread.html

use
import java.util.concurrent.BlockingQueue;
import java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap;
import java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue;
import java.util.concurrent.Semaphore;
import java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor;
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com