laptop question

Patrick.O.Ige

Just a question for you all..
I want to buy a laptop and it would be mainly for development
Which ones below can you recommend.
Sony VAIO FS630/W
Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513
Dell Latitude d810
FUJITSU® LifeBook® N6010
Or Asus
Thanks alot and any feedback would be appreciated

m.posseth

I guess you should decide for yourself what is the most important

i choose a desktop replacement because i need power for my development
purposes ( WEB , Distributed and Desktop applications ) i use a ACER 1524
WLMI
AMD 64 3400 + with 1,2 GB of memory icw Windows 2003 64 bit

This laptop enables me to program everything ( VS6 , VS.Net 2003 , VS.Net
2005 32 and 64 bit )

However this Laptop is pretty heavy ( 3,5 kg )

regards

Michel Posseth [MCP]

Jim Cheshire

Just a question for you all..
I want to buy a laptop and it would be mainly for development
Which ones below can you recommend.
Sony VAIO FS630/W
Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513
Dell Latitude d810
FUJITSU® LifeBook® N6010
Or Asus
Thanks alot and any feedback would be appreciated

I think I'd wait until the dual-core laptops come out. Of course, you
could always buy a new Apple MacBook Pro which already has dual-core.

Jim Cheshire

Eliyahu Goldin

Apart of advanced miltimedia experience, what do you think will be the
benefits of the dua-core architecture in ASP.NET development?

Eliyahu

Jim Cheshire

Apart of advanced miltimedia experience, what do you think will be the
benefits of the dua-core architecture in ASP.NET development?

Dual-core isn't about multimedia. It's about performance across the
board. If you're going to develop an application that's beyond the
basics, more performance on the development box is always a good
thing.

Jim Cheshire

Eliyahu Goldin

Hmm, not too convincing... I recon you will hardly notice any benefits until
there will be software products utilizing this.

Eliyahu

Jim Cheshire

Hmm, not too convincing... I recon you will hardly notice any benefits until
there will be software products utilizing this.

That's certainly not the case. You will see dramatic performance
increases system-wide with dual core. Do some research on it and read
what people who've seen it in action have to say. It's supposedly a
phenomenal performance boost.

Jim Cheshire

Jim Cheshire

As a test, I just ran some benchmarks on the three machines at my
desk. One is a P4 3GHz with 2GB RAM. The other is a P4 3GHz with 2GB
RAM and HT enabled. The third is a PentiumD (dual-core) 3GHz with 2GB
RAM.

The third box far surpasses the others both in benchmarks and in the
way it feels. There are some differences in the box (such as PCI
Express vs. AGP, etc.), but none that account for such a dramatic
performance increase.

There's no doubt but that dual-core is something worth waiting for in
my opinion.

Jim Cheshire