Large Data pass page by page in ASP.Net

ivanlkc

Hi All,

Thanks for reading my post! :)

I would like to ask a question about passing data in ASP.Net.
Currently, I use a session variable to keep this data(string) to allow
several pages to reference it. However, the application is going to be
complicated and data is increasing it size. The application performance
is deteriorating day by day.

The size of the data can be up to about 150kb, and all of them is
useful and cannot be removed. Also, the data is different for each user
and changing each the user visit the page.

Apart from session variable, what else can give the same functionality
but better performance?

Thanks in advance for any comment and suggestion!!!

Ivan

David Browne

Hi All,

Thanks for reading my post! :)

I would like to ask a question about passing data in ASP.Net.
Currently, I use a session variable to keep this data(string) to allow
several pages to reference it. However, the application is going to be
complicated and data is increasing it size. The application performance
is deteriorating day by day.

The size of the data can be up to about 150kb, and all of them is
useful and cannot be removed. Also, the data is different for each user
and changing each the user visit the page.

Apart from session variable, what else can give the same functionality
but better performance?

Session variables have the best performance available, 150kb is not really a
lot. A web server with just 1G of memory can support thousands of 150kb
sessions.

Do you have a 150kb string? Stuffed with different data? If so, don't do
that. You can put objects in the session, the prohibition against it was a
limitation of "old" ASP, and no longer exists. Otherwise, use a profiler to
find your performance problems.

David

ivanlkc

Thanks David!!!

Maybe you are right. In fact I haven't found out what is the real cause
of the poor performance.
I will try to use a profiler as you suggest.

Thanks again!

Ivan