Learning GTK+

red_hax0r

I've been trying to find some good books and tutorials on GTK 2, but
with sparse results. Any links or suggestions? Since I'm just starting
out with Linux GUI programming I am open to alternative C GUI
frameworks, but GTK seems the best to use at this point.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

jmcgill

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I'll chime in before you get reminded that this is a newsgroup for
standard C and not for specific platforms or libraries.

First, I strongly recommend you join the gtk-list and
gtk-app-devel-list. These are very active and frequented by
some very experienced folks.

I assume you've read every question in the FAQ.

http://www.gtk.org/faq/

And I assume you have at least looked at the tutorial -- this stuff is
really good and starts from the ground.

http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

As for books, I got some mileage out of Peter Wright's book, but I am
afraid it might be slightly dated, since the library has gone through a
lot of development since that book was published.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1861003811/104-6926383-4059111?v=glance&n=283155

I'm not in a position to say anything about any of the other books on
GTK+. There's so much online documentation and so many projects to
analyze, I don't think I'd bother with a book, unless you really need
that kind of example/tutorial to get started.