    So if you have any books you could reccomend me that would rock, I
    can't really afford a book so if online that would be excellent.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Falc, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Falc wrote:

    > So if you have any books you could reccomend me that would rock, I
    > can't really afford a book so if online that would be excellent.

    Have you looked into:
    <http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide>
    <http://python.org/doc/Intros.html>

    Cheers,

    --
    Klaus Alexander Seistrup
    Copenhagen, Denmark

    Klaus Alexander Seistrup, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Falc

    Laurent Guest

    Falc wrote:
    > Hi there...
    >
    > I have been looking at learning Python, so far it looks like an
    > absolutely grat language. I am having trouble finding some free
    > resources to learn Python from. I am on windows and the only experience
    > I have with programming is with PHP.
    >
    > I have been trying to look at the free online book "Dive Into Python"
    > but this is far too difficult for me as it explains it in caparison
    > with C++ or Java.
    > I like the book called "A Byte Of Python"
    > (http://www.byteofpython.info) but it's made for version 2.3 (Would
    > this matter anyway?).
    > So if you have any books you could reccomend me that would rock, I
    > can't really afford a book so if online that would be excellent.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

    I must recommend you "Learning Python" from O'reilly that is an
    excellent book but not free...This is the only one I've read about python.
    For byteofpython I haven't read it but if it covers python 2.3 sure it
    is sufficient to learn python as 2.4 has just introduced some new
    advanced features.

    Also take a look at:
    http://www.awaretek.com/tutorials.html
    Good examples that will help you in your learning.

    Dive into python must be read _after_ you've read and tryied a little
    python :)

    Laurent, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Falc

    Falc Guest

    I am going to read "A Byte Of Python" and possibly a few others
    afterwards. I sure will read Dive into Python.

    Thanks a lot guys, it's beed a great help.

    I'll buy "Learning Python" when I can but I'm on a *very* tight budget
    at the moment.
    Thanks again. :)

    Falc, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Wow, That's one I hadn't seen before. Thanks. <bs>

    BartlebyScrivener, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Falc wrote:

    > Hi there...
    >
    > I have been looking at learning Python, so far it looks like an
    > absolutely grat language. I am having trouble finding some free
    > resources to learn Python from. I am on windows and the only experience
    > I have with programming is with PHP.
    >
    > I have been trying to look at the free online book "Dive Into Python"
    > but this is far too difficult for me as it explains it in caparison
    > with C++ or Java.
    > I like the book called "A Byte Of Python"
    > (http://www.byteofpython.info) but it's made for version 2.3 (Would
    > this matter anyway?).
    > So if you have any books you could reccomend me that would rock, I
    > can't really afford a book so if online that would be excellent.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

    There are some cool stuff at "ActiveState". Try "ActivePython" ;-). After
    installing you have not only 'Python' but also some good documentations and
    also some extra modules like 'win32' (or some else, i can't remember) to
    access Wintedo specific things. Stuff not to pay, it's not like the Komodo
    and Visual Python... these last two products looks be good, i must look
    for a suchs GNU/Linux version...

    Open you're eyes on the follow link ;-)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_programming_language
    I also recommend the website mentioned and this project.

    On the botton of the page look for the free books and ... Pay attention on
    this page !

    Stuff that must by pay.
    O'Reilly have some good books about Python (and more) here a little list
    that im surrely recomends. I like the books of O'Reilly because it's easy
    to read, the used english language are clear and funny to read. The content
    are right, just some time it's refer/recommends to other books. But finally
    when you have some (good!!!)books its easyer. At first when beginning with
    Python i have encounter some troubles to find the right book on my level.
    In the begin i have read some books not specially here in the list and some
    other here of the list but in another order and founds the level to high
    because i have no programming background (or recive some courses). I have
    interesting in programming, it's a little begin. My recommended list of
    books and direction to read :

    1) Learning Python
    2) programming Python
    3) Python Pocket Reference
    4) Python in a Nuteshell
    5) Python Essential Reference
    6) Python Cookbook

    Try the first, second, third, ...
    If you like it, buy the book, so you contribute for next devloppments of his
    books ...

    Other great books but not from O'Reilly
    Think like a computer scientiste
    For Dummies Beginning Programming (with Liberty Basic and not her to be in
    subject but i like these ;-))

    Sorry for the bad English, i try to help ...
    --
    David Van Mosselbeen - Debian Sarge user

    David Van Mosselbeen, Dec 7, 2005