Learning XHTML and CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Some Guy, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Some Guy

    Some Guy Guest

    Hi. I'm taking programming in college, and one of my classes is on web
    development, and we're learning about XHTML and CSS. I've learned that my
    professor's site doesn't validate, and when I try to validate my pages with
    his suggested DOCTYPE it won't. I have a friend that's really good with this
    stuff (at least compared to me) and he gave me the proper doctype (he says
    the prof's is 3 standards ago).

    Anyway, my question to the group is:
    How can I learn this stuff on my own? Are there any good, up-to-date books
    on the subject?

    My friend's sites are all validated in XHTML Strict and I'd like to get
    there too. (right now, I have some basic pages that validate as
    Transitional, but that's no big accomplishment.)

    TIA for any help you can offer,
    Jesse

    btw, apologies for any misuse of words or misspellings. you can tell I'm new
    to this.
    Some Guy, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Some Guy

    Wayfarer Guest

    Thus spake Some Guy:
    > Hi. I'm taking programming in college, and one of my classes is on web
    > development, and we're learning about XHTML and CSS. I've learned that my
    > professor's site doesn't validate, and when I try to validate my pages with
    > his suggested DOCTYPE it won't. I have a friend that's really good with this
    > stuff (at least compared to me) and he gave me the proper doctype (he says
    > the prof's is 3 standards ago).
    >
    > Anyway, my question to the group is:
    > How can I learn this stuff on my own? Are there any good, up-to-date books
    > on the subject?
    >
    > My friend's sites are all validated in XHTML Strict and I'd like to get
    > there too. (right now, I have some basic pages that validate as
    > Transitional, but that's no big accomplishment.)
    >
    > TIA for any help you can offer,
    > Jesse
    >
    > btw, apologies for any misuse of words or misspellings. you can tell I'm new
    > to this.

    The W3C School (http://www.w3schools.com/) is pretty good.

    HTH

    --
    Wayfarer
    Journeys: http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/contact.asp
    Wayfarer, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Some Guy wrote:
    > My friend's sites are all validated in XHTML Strict and I'd like to
    > get there too.

    Are you sure? there a few reasons to build a page to a XHTML DocType. The
    one above isn't one of them. The doctype of choice for new pages is 4.01
    strict

    > (right now, I have some basic pages that validate as
    > Transitional, but that's no big accomplishment.)

    I disagree - that is a splendid step in the right direction. remember
    validation is only one of the inputs to your common-sense processor.

    In any event, have fun
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 18, 2003