    If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

    For the rest of us, this is fantastic news.

    http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=800922

    sturlamolden, Jan 14, 2009

  2. sturlamolden

    Guest

    , Jan 14, 2009

  3. sturlamolden

    sturlamolden Guest

    On Jan 14, 3:11 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > On Jan 14, 7:57 am, sturlamolden <> wrote:
    >
    > > According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
    > > as of version 4.5.

    > > If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

    > > For the rest of us, this is fantastic news.

    > >http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=800922

    > http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing
    >
    > Not sure what this means for PyQt

    It means that:
    - If Riverbank keep their dual GPL licensing scheme, somebody else
    will make an LGPL 'QtPython' instead.
    - If Riverbank change PyQt to LGPL, they will loose most of their
    revenue form PyQt.

    In either case, Qt will be available under the same licensing terms as
    wxWidgets.

    As of today, the main reason to prefer wxPython over PyQt is the
    license. With an LGPL'd Qt, I'd rather ask what this will mean for
    wxPython.

    sturlamolden, Jan 14, 2009
  4. On Jan 14, 8:20 am, sturlamolden <> wrote:
    > On Jan 14, 3:11 pm, "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jan 14, 7:57 am, sturlamolden <> wrote:

    > > > According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
    > > > as of version 4.5.

    > > > If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

    > > > For the rest of us, this is fantastic news.

    > > >http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=800922

    > >http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing

    > > Not sure what this means for PyQt

    > It means that:
    > - If Riverbank keep their dual GPL licensing scheme, somebody else
    > will make an LGPL 'QtPython' instead.
    > - If Riverbank change PyQt to LGPL, they will loose most of their
    > revenue form PyQt.
    >
    > In either case, Qt will be available under the same licensing terms as
    > wxWidgets.
    >
    > As of today, the main reason to prefer wxPython over PyQt is the
    > license. With an LGPL'd Qt, I'd rather ask what this will mean for
    > wxPython.

    I'm pretty sure that Qt is mostly (if not all) custom widgets whereas
    wxPython uses native widgets whenever possible. While this allows Qt
    to have skinning (a plus!), it also can make them look less than
    native (a minus!).

    If they do release a LGPL version, I may take a look at it just to see
    how different it is, although I'm pretty happy with what I'm using.

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Jan 14, 2009
  5. sturlamolden

    excord80 Guest

    On Jan 14, 9:20 am, sturlamolden <> wrote:

    > In either case, Qt will be available under the same licensing terms as
    > wxWidgets.
    >
    > As of today, the main reason to prefer wxPython over PyQt is the
    > license. With an LGPL'd Qt, I'd rather ask what this will mean for
    > wxPython.

    wx has a nice community, and is actively developed, FWICT. I've also
    heard that its maintainer is very responsive.

    However, my impression is that the main appeal of wx is that it's API
    is similar to MS Windows MFC (an appeal only for (some) MS Windows
    developers though) and that it has favorable licensing conditions
    (like GTK+). Further, I suspect that Pythoneers have been using and
    recommending it because it's currently the least worst solution.

    Now that LGPL Qt is very nearly here, I'd say that wxWidgets is going
    to have a very challenging time ahead. Very challenging.

    excord80, Jan 14, 2009
  6. sturlamolden

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Jan 14, 6:57 am, sturlamolden <> wrote:
    > According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
    > as of version 4.5.
    >
    > If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...
    >
    > For the rest of us, this is fantastic news.
    >
    > http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=800922

    Is Nokia the making the full Qt toolkit LGPL, or just the parts that
    were previously GPL? (Can't read Norwegian if it's in the article.)
    If it's the former Rivebank Computing will be ok, they might even sell
    more support contracts this way since companies are more likely to use
    LGPL than GPL software.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jan 14, 2009
  7. sturlamolden

    Robert Kern Guest

    Carl Banks wrote:
    > On Jan 14, 6:57 am, sturlamolden <> wrote:
    >> According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
    >> as of version 4.5.
    >>
    >> If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...
    >>
    >> For the rest of us, this is fantastic news.
    >>
    >> http://digi.no/php/art.php?id=800922

    > Is Nokia the making the full Qt toolkit LGPL, or just the parts that
    > were previously GPL? (Can't read Norwegian if it's in the article.)

    The "full" Qt toolkit <4.5 is dual-licensed Commercial/GPL, and the "full" Qt
    toolkit >=4.5 will be Commercial/LGPL/GPL. Trolltech did have a few extra
    libraries that were just Commercial, IIRC, but these were relatively small. What
    people usually call "Qt" (i.e. all of the stuff that PyQt wraps) is going to be
    LGPLed.

    You can get more information in English at the new Qt site here:

    http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Jan 14, 2009
  8. sturlamolden

    Ville Vainio Guest

    On Jan 14, 2:57 pm, sturlamolden <> wrote:

    > According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
    > as of version 4.5.
    >
    > If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

    Isn't that a tad thankless and premature?

    It may be that the "support" aspect needs to be emphasized (currently,
    the paying customers get a priority over non-paying customers, but
    there are no formal support contracts), but if we assume that the
    usage of Qt & PyQt in commercial setting is going to skyrocket (I'd
    wager that it's a pretty safe assumption), selling plain support could
    prove very profitable as well - esp. since most PyQt users probably
    won't be too eager to start messing with SIP & fiddling around with Qt
    C++ plumbing.

    Ville Vainio, Jan 17, 2009
  9. sturlamolden

    eliben Guest

    On Jan 14, 2:57 pm, sturlamolden <> wrote:
    > According to a Norwegian publication, Nokia will release Qt under LGPL
    > as of version 4.5.
    >
    > If I had stocks in Riverbank Computing ltd., I would sell them now...

    Unlikely...

    The switch of Qt to LGPL will almost certainly vastly increase the Qt
    user base. Leaving very few and minor imperfections aside, Qt is a
    superior GUI library and programming framework, and its lack of free
    license seriously impeded adoption in the past. The increase in Qt use
    will also cause a great increase in PyQt use, and I would imagine
    Riverbank will be able to make a good living from consulting on PyQt
    topics, even if their sales from selling PyQt "licenses" decrease.

    Eli

    eliben, Jan 17, 2009