What license to choose for Python programs? (PSF License vs. GPL/LGPL)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Volker Grabsch, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Hi!

    I noticed that many packages in the PyPI are using the PSF License.
    Does this have a special reason? Is this the common "standard" license
    for Python libraries?

    I'm just asking because I'll release some bigger pieces of Python code
    to the Open Source Community. In my many projects before I just used
    GPL or LGPL. This didn't have a special reason. They are just standard
    OS licenses. I could also have used the BSD License, but I personally
    like the GPL/LGPL more.

    Of course I know that there are many, many other licenses out there.
    I'm not interested in comparing them all for their slight differences.
    I don't choose the license primarily for protecting my code. I want to
    choose the license according to the most common/appropriate way of the
    community.

    So if it is complicated to include an LGPL'ed Python library in the
    Python standard libraries, I'd release it under PSF License. I'd like
    to hear some opinions about that. What licenses do you use, and what's
    your personal reason for doing so?

    Also, a quick overview about the various licenses would be nice. Not
    a legal comparison, but a list about what type of code/programs/libs
    is usually released under which license.

    Thanks for your help,

    Volker

    --
    Volker Grabsch
    ---<<(())>>---
    Volker Grabsch, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Re: What license to choose for Python programs? (PSF License vs.GPL/LGPL)

    Volker Grabsch wrote:

    > I noticed that many packages in the PyPI are using the PSF License.
    > Does this have a special reason?

    Personally I used Python style license to express that you can do with
    some of my modules exactly what you can do with Python itself.

    > So if it is complicated to include an LGPL'ed Python library in the
    > Python standard libraries, I'd release it under PSF License.

    Unfortunately the Python style license is not suitable to reach that goal.

    Recommended reading:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq

    > Also, a quick overview about the various licenses would be nice.

    Maybe biased:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

    Ciao, Michael.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Re: What license to choose for Python programs? (PSF License vs.GPL/LGPL)

    (Volker Grabsch) writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I noticed that many packages in the PyPI are using the PSF License.
    > Does this have a special reason?

    Lots of people are misguided, maybe.

    Anyway, you want to be reading this:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    Roll on a game of competetive offence-taking.
    -- Dan Sheppard, ucam.chat
    Michael Hudson, Jul 25, 2005