What license/copyright text to include and where to include it whenselling a commercial Python based

Discussion in 'Python' started by Malcolm Greene, Apr 12, 2010.

  1. Looking for advice on what Python license and copyright text to
    include and where to include it when selling a commercial
    (Windows based) Python based application.

    By license text and copyrights I am refering to the text on this
    page:

    PYTHON SOFTWARE FOUNDATION LICENSE VERSION 2
    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/license/

    By "where to include it" I mean:

    1. What Python license text/copyright text should I place in our
    printed user manual?

    2. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    our online documentation?

    3. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    product's license text file?

    4. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    application's splash screen and about dialog boxes?

    Thank you,
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Greene, Apr 12, 2010

  2. Re: What license/copyright text to include and where to include itwhen selling a commercial Python based application?

    > 1. What Python license text/copyright text should I place in our
    > printed user manual?
    >
    > 2. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    > our online documentation?
    >
    > 3. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    > product's license text file?
    >
    > 4. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    > application's splash screen and about dialog boxes?

    IANAL, and you should really ask your own lawyer.

    However, the relevant clause seems to be clause 2, which requires you to
    retain a copy of the license "in Python alone or in any derivative
    version prepared by Licensee".

    IIUC, your product will be a derivative version (ask your lawyer whether
    that's a correct assessment). Then, the only requirement is to have a
    copy of the license in the derivative work, i.e. in the software
    installation. No need to include it in the manual, the online
    documentation, or the splash screen. Putting it into the product's
    license text file might be appropriate, as might be putting it next to it.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Loewis, Apr 16, 2010