libpcap-ruby

William Morgan

Hi all,

I'm having some troubles with libpcap-ruby. The web pages and
documentation don't seem to have been updated since 2001. Is anyone
actively maintaining this?

Thanks,

ts

d> I've seen this recommended (no update since 2000 but it could just
d> be that it's stable?):

It depend what you call stable :)

read carefully this message [ruby-talk:62437] if you use it (the
modification to make to pcap is evident).

Guy Decoux

William Morgan

Excerpts (reformatted) from ts's mail of 21 Aug 2004 (EDT):
read carefully this message [ruby-talk:62437] if you use it (the
modification to make to pcap is evident).

I don't think this is the issue I'm experiencing. I'm building an
interface for choosing among wireless networks and it seems like
libpcap-ruby hasn't been updated to deal with 802.11b packets.

E.g. using the included tcpdump.rb script, I get the following message:

/tcpdump.rb:25:in `each_packet': Unknown data-link type (119) (Pcap::pcapError)

For the time being, I'm running the real tcpdump binary as a child
process through IO.popen() and parsing the output, but that's not an
ideal solution for a number of reasons.

(For libpcap-ruby, it seems like the datalinks[] array in packet.c needs
to be updated, but I'm not enough of a networking guy to know what to
do, or if that's really sufficient.)