    I have a database that I use to check the username and password of the user,
    but I would also like to check if it is the same computer.

    How can this be done without using cookies?

    Ross Lewis, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Ross Lewis wrote:
    > I would like to limit users from logging in to the website from more
    > than one computer.
    >
    > I have a database that I use to check the username and password of
    > the user, but I would also like to check if it is the same computer.
    >
    > How can this be done without using cookies?

    Record the IP the client is using. Then if they try to logon to another
    computer (with a different IP), you can restrict logon until the user logs
    off the first computer (IP), or the session times out...

    If restricting on the same computer, then use a cookie.

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    Hire top-notch developers at
    http://www.able-consulting.com

    Carl Prothman [MVP], Jun 28, 2004

  3. One disclaimer for the IP locking.

    If the users are coming from behind a firewall to your site, they all might
    have the same IP address.

    bill

    William F. Robertson, Jr., Jun 28, 2004
  4. Ross Lewis

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:16:58 -0400, "Ross Lewis"
    <> wrote:

    >I would like to limit users from logging in to the website from more than
    >one computer.
    >
    >I have a database that I use to check the username and password of the user,
    >but I would also like to check if it is the same computer.
    >
    >How can this be done without using cookies?

    if you want to just make sure there aren't concurrent users try using
    a hidden form field. Each time the page is sent back verify the
    hidden form field matches the data on the server. Each login,
    generate a new value for this field. If a user logs in twice (even
    from the same computer) you will be able to detect this.

    -Adam

    , Jun 28, 2004
  5. It can't be done without using Cookies.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 28, 2004
  6. Ross Lewis

    Ross Lewis Guest

    I would not like to use cookies because the user can easily clear out their
    temperary internet files and cookies.

    "Albert Pascual" <> wrote in message
    > Why don't you use the SessionID/Cookie to see if it's the same browser

    computer. Add a Cookie into the browser and also check the session ID. Will
    tell you if it's the same computer!

    Ross Lewis, Jun 29, 2004
  7. I wouldn't like to go to the dentist. But if I don't, all my teeth will fall
    out.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    "Ross Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > I would not like to use cookies because the user can easily clear out

    their
    > temperary internet files and cookies.
    >

    > "Albert Pascual" <> wrote in

    message