Limit to one computer.

Ross Lewis

I would like to limit users from logging in to the website from more than
one computer.

I have a database that I use to check the username and password of the user,
but I would also like to check if it is the same computer.

How can this be done without using cookies?

Carl Prothman [MVP]

Ross said:
I would like to limit users from logging in to the website from more
than one computer.

I have a database that I use to check the username and password of
the user, but I would also like to check if it is the same computer.

How can this be done without using cookies?

Record the IP the client is using. Then if they try to logon to another
computer (with a different IP), you can restrict logon until the user logs
off the first computer (IP), or the session times out...

If restricting on the same computer, then use a cookie.

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

Hire top-notch developers at
http://www.able-consulting.com

William F. Robertson, Jr.

One disclaimer for the IP locking.

If the users are coming from behind a firewall to your site, they all might
have the same IP address.

bill

ashelley

I would like to limit users from logging in to the website from more than
one computer.

I have a database that I use to check the username and password of the user,
but I would also like to check if it is the same computer.

How can this be done without using cookies?

if you want to just make sure there aren't concurrent users try using
a hidden form field. Each time the page is sent back verify the
hidden form field matches the data on the server. Each login,
generate a new value for this field. If a user logs in twice (even
from the same computer) you will be able to detect this.

-Adam

Kevin Spencer

It can't be done without using Cookies.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Ross Lewis

I would not like to use cookies because the user can easily clear out their
temperary internet files and cookies.

Albert Pascual said:
Why don't you use the SessionID/Cookie to see if it's the same browser
computer. Add a Cookie into the browser and also check the session ID. Will
tell you if it's the same computer!

Kevin Spencer

I wouldn't like to go to the dentist. But if I don't, all my teeth will fall
out.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer