Line selection in Eclipse

Bill Tschumy

How are you supposed to do line selection in Eclipse? In most editors you
can triple click to select a line and triple click and drag to select
multiple lines. I can't see any way to do this in Eclipse.

This seems fundamental to efficient editing and I can't believe it's not
there somewhere. What's the secret handshake?

Kari Ikonen

Bill said:
How are you supposed to do line selection in Eclipse? In most editors you
can triple click to select a line and triple click and drag to select
multiple lines. I can't see any way to do this in Eclipse.

This seems fundamental to efficient editing and I can't believe it's not
there somewhere. What's the secret handshake?

There is thing called "keyboard"... Never heard of that?

Bill Tschumy

There is thing called "keyboard"... Never heard of that?

Yes, I do believe I've heard of that. Are you implying there is a keyboard
shortcut or do I have to do line selection via Home then down arrow? If the
latter, then it is hardly a substitute for triple click.

Oscar kind

Bill Tschumy said:
How are you supposed to do line selection in Eclipse? In most editors you
can triple click to select a line and triple click and drag to select
multiple lines. I can't see any way to do this in Eclipse.

This seems fundamental to efficient editing and I can't believe it's not
there somewhere. What's the secret handshake?

I disagree with that. To me, efficient editing is done by throwing out the
mouse, and using the keyboard. Especially as I mostly tend to write code.
And when I do need to move code around, I use the refactoring support of
my IDE (it is one of the several IDE's with good refactoring support).

Lisa

Bill Tschumy said:
How are you supposed to do line selection in Eclipse? In most editors you
can triple click to select a line and triple click and drag to select
multiple lines. I can't see any way to do this in Eclipse.

This seems fundamental to efficient editing and I can't believe it's not
there somewhere. What's the secret handshake?

I just tried this. You left click on the line number.

Kari Ikonen

Bill said:
shortcut or do I have to do line selection via Home then down arrow? If
the latter, then it is hardly a substitute for triple click.

Yes, I agree that it is not substitute for triple click, since it is both
better and faster than mousing around. ;)

IMHO, requiring more than doubleclick from the users, is usability problem,
not improvement. Even doubleclick is difficult for lot of users.

Bill Tschumy

I just tried this. You left click on the line number.

Lisa,

Thanks for answering my question rather than trying to tell me what I want is
wrong. I'm not going to get drawn into a mouse vs. keyboard argument.

Your suggestion works, but unfortunately I don't normally have line numbers
displayed. I guess I'll just have to make do with what I've got.