JavaT Runtime Environment Version Selection

Richard Maher

Hi,

In my Applet's <object> tag I specify the "java_sersion" parameter as
follows: -

<param name="java_version" value="1.7+">

I'd expected this clause to trigger the Java plugin (as long as after
1.6_10) to throw/report some sort of excption if there was now Java
version available >= 1.7. Unfortunately, the Java plugin (1.6_31 in
this case) seems very happy just to attempt to run the Applet on that
version and ignore the later version requirement.

Is this to be expected?

Have I specified the parameter incorrectly?

I thought it might just have been crappy Safari on OS/X but it also
limps-on or completely ignores this parameter on FireFox and Windows.

I would like the Applet load to fail if there is no 1.7+ version; how
can I achieve this?

Cheers Richard Maher

Honestly, here's a very simple applet: -

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> A Simple Program </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

Here is the output of my program:
<APPLET CODE="HelloWorld.class" WIDTH=150 HEIGHT=25>
<param name="java_version" value="1.4*">
</APPLET>
</BODY>
</HTML>

import java.awt.Graphics;
public class HelloWorld extends java.applet.Applet {

public void init() {
resize(150,25);
}
public void paint(Graphics g) {
g.drawString("Hello world!", 50, 25);

Can *anyone* show me *any version* or Java +/- browser wher the
"java_version" applet parameter does *anything* other than take up
space? APPLET, OBJECT, or EMBED tags.

What is supposed to hapen when I ask/demand 7.0 and 7.0 does not
exists???

Is larry pre-occupied on courtroom battles to concentrate on something
that should be so simple?

Cheers Richard Maher

Once again, for those following at home, I did some more tests and realized
that if you have multiple JREs available then you can choose a specific
lower version that is on your system (For example if you have 1.7 and 1.6
available and some applet is already running in 1.7 then yours can elect to
run in a 1.6 JVM and it will be duly created) The problem, as I see it, is
that if you elect/mandate a JRE version that is not available then the new
plugin will just opt for limp-home mode and gives you the latest version
available, push it up the flag-pole and see if anyone salutes, in a
suck-it-and-see strategy :-(

Details can be found here: -
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/index-141751.html#BEHAVIOR

I am aghast at this and implore those in a position to do something (the
http://forums.java.net/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=77 link doesn't seem very
active) to introduce a "just do what you're bloody well told" flag!

Really, what is the point of the "+" and "*" when "+" is what everyone gets?

Cheers Richard Maher

Lew

Richard said:
On May 10, 11:36 am, Richard Maher<[email protected]> wrote:

Why start a new thread? Just continue in the original one.

No, but you have failed to read the documentation. It's working as it's
supposed to.

Use JNLP.

As already advised. Why you not follow advice?

You're recapitulating the entire thread - well, your part of it. You should
have stayed in context.

It does exactly what it's documented to do. Your problem?

See the relevant quote below. It's from the documentation.

Still a stupid question, new thread notwithstanding.
[...]

If the tag did as you suggest it would violate the documented behavior:
"When considering a request to launch an applet on a particular family or any
later family, the latest available JRE will be used to launch the applet."

So the thing is working the way it's supposed to.

RTFM.