Link, name, parameter and anchor

Maxime

Hello everybody !

Here is my problem. I want to create a HTML link to another page, to a
specified place in the target page. I do this using this code :
source page : <a href="target_page.html#position>link</a>
target page : <a name="position"></a>
And it works, when clicking on "link" in the source page, the target page
opens and the anchor "position" is placed on top of the page. Right.

But now I have to do the same with a target page (in PHP) with a parameter.
The target URL is then "target_page.php?parameter=xxx" but how do I specify
the anchor ? Using <a href="target_page.php#position?parameter=xxx>link</a>
doesn't work.

I tried using the "name" tag as this :
source page : <a href="target_page.html" name="position">link</a>
target page : <a name="position"></a>
But it doesn't work, the target page opens but stays in top of the page...
Is it possible to use the "name" tag when adressing to another page ? If
yes, why does my code doesn't work ?

Do anyone has an idea to help me ?

Thanks.

Els

Maxime said:
But now I have to do the same with a target page (in PHP) with a parameter.
The target URL is then "target_page.php?parameter=xxx" but how do I specify
the anchor ? Using <a href="target_page.php#position?parameter=xxx>link</a>
doesn't work.

Have you tried <a
href="target_page.php?parameter=xxx#position>link</a> ?

Maxime

Els said:
Have you tried <a
href="target_page.php?parameter=xxx#position>link</a> ?

Yes of course but it doesn't work neither, it thinks that the value of the
parameter is "xxx#position" !

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Maxime wrote :
Hello everybody !

Here is my problem. I want to create a HTML link to another page, to a
specified place in the target page. I do this using this code :
source page : <a href="target_page.html#position>link</a>
target page : <a name="position"></a>

This is called an empty anchor. It is always better and it is
recommended to avoid empty anchors.

E.g.: a good recommended way to create an anchor:

And it works, when clicking on "link" in the source page, the target
page opens and the anchor "position" is placed on top of the page. Right.

This may be a normal fallback mechanism for a failure to reach the
targeted anchor and not a successful loading of the anchored position of
the page. If the anchor #position does not exist, then most/all browsers
will load the page at the top of the page anyway.
But now I have to do the same with a target page (in PHP) with a
parameter. The target URL is then "target_page.php?parameter=xxx" but
how do I specify the anchor ? Using <a
href="target_page.php#position?parameter=xxx>link</a> doesn't work.

I tried using the "name" tag as this :
source page : <a href="target_page.html" name="position">link</a>
target page : <a name="position"></a>
But it doesn't work, the target page opens but stays in top of the page...
Is it possible to use the "name" tag when adressing to another page ? If
yes, why does my code doesn't work ?

Do anyone has an idea to help me ?

Nvu User Guide
3.7.1.3 Inserting named Anchors
3.7.1.4 Linking to named anchors
http://www.nvudev.org/guide/html/ugs03.htm#s3713

HTML Dog on links
http://www.htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/links/

Web Authoring FAQ: hyperlinks (QDG)
6.2. How do I link to a location in the middle of an HTML document?
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/links.html#named-anchor

Gérard

Maxime

Toby A Inkster said:
I can hear Maxime's loud "D'oh!" from here!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

D'oh !!!
In fact in the target page I wrote <name=position></a> instead of <a
name=position></a> !!!!
Stupid error...but sometimes easy bugs are difficult to find !!!
Now it works fine.
Thanks for your responses.

Maxime.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Maxime:
In fact in the target page I wrote <name=position></a> instead of <a
name=position></a> !!!!
Stupid error...but sometimes easy bugs are difficult to find !!!

This one wouldn't have been very difficult if you had used a validator. Not
all mistakes in markup are reportable by a validator, but a mistake like
this is.