Link needed to go from a non-frames page to a Frames page, and load a particular frame. How? - Ne

Philip

Hello All
I'm a newbe at html, and have a quick question regarding my site.
Due to some limitations with cart software (I dont entirely understand) I
need to create several links in the body of a non-frames page, to one page
with frames.
On this page with frames, I need to load any one of several pages into the
main frame.
I realise I could go create about 6 frames pages and code each one to load
the appropriate page in the relevent frame, and link to each one
indervidually, but thats really dirty. is there a way to basicly pass a
value from 1 page to another page (say, in the linking URL) and get the page
with the frames to load the url of the page you have passed to it?
Not sure if I have explained myself very well, as I said, new to all this,
not even sure if I'm asking this in the correct NG.

Will explain with an example.
On a normal HTML page I have a table of products on special (about 6)
When they click on a product, I want it to open up another page, and in a
frame on that new page, bring up another page with full details about the
product, and the ability to buy the product. (in short, a link to the secure
cart software)
I dont want to have to create 6 different pages to do this, as the specials
for next month will change.

Any juggestions? or examples I can look at?
Thanks.
Philip Middleton.

rf

Philip said:
Hello All

Er, G'day.

To answer your subject line , you can't. You have to point to a URL that has
a frame loading the required pages.

You *could* pull some tricks by adding some variables to the end of your
URL, causing your server side process to serve up an appropriate framed
page.

Best of all, abandom frames entirely. Have you not audited the history of
this newsgroup?
I'm a newbe at html, and have a quick question regarding my site.

<snip rest of explanation>

Philip

rf said:
To answer your subject line , you can't. You have to point to a URL
that has a frame loading the required pages.

You *could* pull some tricks by adding some variables to the end of
your URL, causing your server side process to serve up an appropriate
framed page.

Best of all, abandom frames entirely. Have you not audited the history
of this newsgroup?

No go eh? As I feared. Thanks for the Very prompt feedback. Don't even
get paid feedback that fast!!!
Yes, I had looked through the ng to see what ppl in general thought, and I
agree about the frames (not that my opinion on this subject carries much
weight at this stage) I inherited this site with a business I just purchased
I'm actually in the middle of re-designing the site away from a single
frames page site.
It was incredibly simple.
1 fames page (index.html) and all pages for the site were simply in one
frame on that page!
Search engines just loved it! Not! :(

The reason for the question was I don't have control of the Cart Software.
It belongs to the ISP Apparently I can do lots with it if I use php, but don
't have the foggiest about that ... Yet!
So, at this stage, I think I need to keep the cart in a frame. Not going to
use one anywhere else though!

Anyway. Thanks very much for your help.
Philip Middleton.

Karl Groves

Philip said:
I inherited this site with a business I just purchased

Since this is a website for your business, then do yourself a favor and hire
a professional.
Your website is your #1 sales and #1 support person.
Your employees are at work 40 hours a week. Your website is on duty 168
hours a week.

-Karl