Link needed to go from a non-frames page to a Frames page, and load a particular frame. How? - Ne

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Philip, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Hello All
    I'm a newbe at html, and have a quick question regarding my site.
    Due to some limitations with cart software (I dont entirely understand) I
    need to create several links in the body of a non-frames page, to one page
    with frames.
    On this page with frames, I need to load any one of several pages into the
    main frame.
    I realise I could go create about 6 frames pages and code each one to load
    the appropriate page in the relevent frame, and link to each one
    indervidually, but thats really dirty. is there a way to basicly pass a
    value from 1 page to another page (say, in the linking URL) and get the page
    with the frames to load the url of the page you have passed to it?
    Not sure if I have explained myself very well, as I said, new to all this,
    not even sure if I'm asking this in the correct NG.

    Will explain with an example.
    On a normal HTML page I have a table of products on special (about 6)
    When they click on a product, I want it to open up another page, and in a
    frame on that new page, bring up another page with full details about the
    product, and the ability to buy the product. (in short, a link to the secure
    cart software)
    I dont want to have to create 6 different pages to do this, as the specials
    for next month will change.

    Any juggestions? or examples I can look at?
    Thanks.
    Philip Middleton.

    Philip, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Philip

    rf Guest

    "Philip" <philip.middleton@_RemoveThis_myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All

    Er, G'day.

    To answer your subject line , you can't. You have to point to a URL that has
    a frame loading the required pages.

    You *could* pull some tricks by adding some variables to the end of your
    URL, causing your server side process to serve up an appropriate framed
    page.

    Best of all, abandom frames entirely. Have you not audited the history of
    this newsgroup?

    > I'm a newbe at html, and have a quick question regarding my site.

    <snip rest of explanation>

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Philip

    Philip Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message
    > To answer your subject line , you can't. You have to point to a URL
    > that has a frame loading the required pages.
    >
    > You *could* pull some tricks by adding some variables to the end of
    > your URL, causing your server side process to serve up an appropriate
    > framed page.
    >
    > Best of all, abandom frames entirely. Have you not audited the history
    > of this newsgroup?

    No go eh? As I feared. Thanks for the Very prompt feedback. Don't even
    get paid feedback that fast!!!
    Yes, I had looked through the ng to see what ppl in general thought, and I
    agree about the frames (not that my opinion on this subject carries much
    weight at this stage) I inherited this site with a business I just purchased
    I'm actually in the middle of re-designing the site away from a single
    frames page site.
    It was incredibly simple.
    1 fames page (index.html) and all pages for the site were simply in one
    frame on that page!
    Search engines just loved it! Not! :(

    The reason for the question was I don't have control of the Cart Software.
    It belongs to the ISP Apparently I can do lots with it if I use php, but don
    't have the foggiest about that ... Yet!
    So, at this stage, I think I need to keep the cart in a frame. Not going to
    use one anywhere else though!

    Anyway. Thanks very much for your help.
    Philip Middleton.

    Philip, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Philip

    Karl Groves Guest

    > I inherited this site with a business I just purchased

    Since this is a website for your business, then do yourself a favor and hire
    a professional.
    Your website is your #1 sales and #1 support person.
    Your employees are at work 40 hours a week. Your website is on duty 168
    hours a week.

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Jun 28, 2004