links...

WindAndWaves

Dear Miranda

I am sorry to frustrate you.

Thank you for your help, but I am still looking for the answer to my
question. Note, i did not write about this relative path, that was
hywel.... I asked him

Do you know the answer to my question? Why is this path j/j.js not working
in Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, but /j/j.js is working?????? I have so many

TIA

- Nicolaas

David Dorward

SpaceGirl said:
The extra / should ONLY be used in XHTML. If you add it in an HTML
document, you are actually making to document invalid, and it will

It might make it invalid, it might not. It depends where you use it.
cause browser like Internet Explorer to render the page in "Quirks mode"

No, the switch between standards and quirks mode has nothing to do with
validity - only the Doctype.
HTML. It IS valid XHTML though.

get this right though), and anywhere you are allowed to have a <br> in
HTML, you are also allow to have a &gr;.

SpaceGirl

WindAndWaves said:
Dear Miranda

I am sorry to frustrate you.

Thank you for your help, but I am still looking for the answer to my
question. Note, i did not write about this relative path, that was
hywel.... I asked him

Do you know the answer to my question? Why is this path j/j.js not working
in Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, but /j/j.js is working?????? I have so many

TIA

- Nicolaas

Nicolaas - it could be so many different things that are causing the
problem, which is why usually it's good to post a link to the page that
you're struggling with so that we can actually try and help. Little bits
of code dont really help, we need to see the whole thing.

Things to watch out for:

Most web servers are case-sensitive, so double check that your folders
are not in the wrong case.

Check that you really ARE getting the page correctly in other browsers -
you may actually be viewing cached copies of local files rather than the
real thing.

I really cant suggest much more... feel free to send me the files if
your like (miranda at subhuman dot net) and I can try them on one of our
servers and show you what's wrong with them.

m.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

David said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

It might make it invalid, it might not. It depends where you use it.

No, the switch between standards and quirks mode has nothing to do with
validity - only the Doctype.

okay not what I really meant, but it's what I typed I guess.
get this right though), and anywhere you are allowed to have a <br> in
HTML, you are also allow to have a &gr;.

Yes I didn't know that... I had to go off an experiment! Well, I think
it should be avoided regardless - it'll only confuse matters when you
are trying to write HTML.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Sam Hughes

Nicolaas - it could be so many different things that are causing the
problem, which is why usually it's good to post a link to the page
that you're struggling with so that we can actually try and help.
Little bits of code dont really help, we need to see the whole thing.

He posted a link a long time ago. http://www.rakau.com/ He needs to
learn how to quote properly though :/

Will Gittoes

WindAndWaves said:
Hi Gurus

I have just put together a website, but I noticed that some of my links do
not work with Internet Explorer 5 for Mac.

Here is my directory structure

index.html
about.html
contact.html
[folder s]
[folder j]

in the s folder there is a style sheet s.css
in the j folder there is a javascript file called j.js

here are the link I use in my html files:

<SCRIPT SRC="j/j.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
<LINK HREF="s/s.css" REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" />

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Maybe it IS working, but you're viewing a cached (stored) version.

Try Ctrl-Refresh, or clear all your Offline Pages/Temporary Internet
Files in IE.

Karl Groves

WindAndWaves said:
it could have been, but unfortunately, I do not think that is what it is.

Please learn how to quote. Anyone who stumbles across this thread won't know
who you're talking to and what you're talking about.

-Karl

WindAndWaves

is.

Please learn how to quote. Anyone who stumbles across this >thread won't know
who you're talking to and what you're talking about.

Dear Karl

I have been on plenty of newsgroups and I do not quote, because personally I
find it a bit of a waste of space. If you want to know the previous message
you should go back in the thread. Having said that, it seems that the HTML
people are pretty staunch on rules so I will quote from now on in this
newsgroup.

BTW, is it normal for people to be so aggressive and unpleasant. The tone
of voice in this newsgroups seems to be very negative, which is a shame.

Thank you for your note.

Will Gittoes

WindAndWaves said:
Dear Karl

I have been on plenty of newsgroups and I do not quote, because personally I
find it a bit of a waste of space. If you want to know the previous message
you should go back in the thread. Having said that, it seems that the HTML
people are pretty staunch on rules so I will quote from now on in this
newsgroup.

BTW, is it normal for people to be so aggressive and unpleasant. The tone
of voice in this newsgroups seems to be very negative, which is a shame.

Thank you for your note.

Some people get a little cranky. If you go to a forum about arts then
you'll find them less so. If you go to a group about games, they're very
agressive. Here in HTML (and other programmy-type groups) people tend
not to be nasty, but more so *strict*.

The most friendly group I have found is alt.rec.nethack, which also,
strangely, is very high-volume.

The reason for always quoting is that some people's news servers don't
pick up every message, so it is most important to quote so that it fills
in any possible gaps in the conversation flow.

Karl Groves

WindAndWaves said:
Dear Karl

I have been on plenty of newsgroups and I do not quote, because personally I
find it a bit of a waste of space. If you want to know the previous message
you should go back in the thread. Having said that, it seems that the HTML
people are pretty staunch on rules so I will quote from now on in this
newsgroup.

Thank you.

-Karl

WindAndWaves

Dear Will

Thank you, I will always quote from now on and I will also check out your
nethack convention.

Thank you again.

- Nicolaas

WindAndWaves

I searched the net (google news search) for alt.rec.nethack, but found
nothing, is this normal?

TIA - Nicolaas