    ADO.NET

    Thanks.
    George.
    George, Nov 4, 2008

  2. George

    Ilyas Guest

    On 4 Nov, 16:35, "George" <> wrote:
    > I am a bit conservative type and usually give some time for technology to
    > mature before starting to try it.
    > Today my question is Linq. To start using it or not.
    >
    > So here is the voting questions.
    >
    > 1. It speeds up development. Yes or No?
    > 2. It makes programs easier to code and read. Yes or No?
    > 3. Perfomance is the same (or comparable) comparing Linq with MsSql and
    > ADO.NET
    >
    > Thanks.
    > George.

    1)It definatly speeds up development time. Reason being that you are
    writing queries in c#, which more developers are familiar with and
    they get executed on the database
    2)Makes coding easier to read, if writtn correctly and documented
    3)I have several apps in productions with Linq and havent noticed any
    perfromance problems. Saying that you do need to pay attention to how
    you write your queries (just as you would if you were writing direct
    sql)

    I would say, go for it. Linq really is very useful
    Ilyas, Nov 4, 2008

  3. George

    Hillbilly Guest

    <snip />
    > 1. It speeds up development. Yes or No?

    maybe
    > 2. It makes programs easier to code and read. Yes or No?

    maybe
    > 3. Perfomance is the same (or comparable) comparing Linq with MsSql and

    maybe

    Go to the blogs to find and read about what "maybe" really implies as like
    every other construct LINQ has a sweet spot where its use has been
    discovered to be well suited for the task.
    Hillbilly, Nov 4, 2008
  4. George

    bruce barker Guest

    there are 3 general linq libraries

    Linq for objects (IEnumerable):

    this is a great replacement for the bad performing foreach. Not only is it
    faster, but gives a full query language for seaching and joinging
    collections. you should switch.

    Linq for Xml:

    coding here is probably simpler than dom and xpath coding. the performance
    seem to be close to using compiled xpaths, and it uses an xmlreader under the
    covers. there is less Linq code to write, and its probably (for those that
    know linq) easier to read. look at switching.

    Linq for SQL

    this is a library that takes a compiled linq parse tree and converts to
    dynamic sql at runtime. it you are doing dynamic sql, this may be a good
    replacement, but should not replace stored procedures or calling prepared
    statements. there are also sql features that can not be accessed from linq to
    sql.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Nov 4, 2008
  5. "Hillbilly" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > <snip />
    >> 1. It speeds up development. Yes or No?

    > maybe
    >> 2. It makes programs easier to code and read. Yes or No?

    > maybe
    >> 3. Perfomance is the same (or comparable) comparing Linq with MsSql and

    > maybe
    >
    > Go to the blogs to find and read about what "maybe" really implies as like
    > every other construct LINQ has a sweet spot where its use has been
    > discovered to be well suited for the task.

    What if in the blogs they say "maybe, maybe, maybe, go to some experts
    forums and ask those who use it everyday"?

    ?
    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Nov 5, 2008