    excess overheading of loading the applet.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    pat_cdp, Mar 26, 2007

  2. pat_cdp

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "pat_cdp" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way to conditionally load a java applet? ...There are some
    > instances where my applet is not needed and therefore don't want the
    > excess overheading of loading the applet.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Perhaps by using JavaScript to only add the <APPLET> (or <OBJECT>) tag
    when the condition has been met. If you want details on this approach,
    though, you'd best ask a JavaScript newsgroup instead of this Java one.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Mar 26, 2007

  3. On Mar 27, 1:33 am, "pat_cdp" <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to conditionally load a java applet?

    I'd guess so. You could always have one applet
    that checks the 'conditions'* load the main applet
    only if required. To load the main applet without
    first caching the bytes locally though, might
    require doing a direct fetch on the applet
    classes.

    * What are these conditions?

    > ...There are some
    > instances where my applet is not needed and therefore don't want the
    > excess overheading of loading the applet.

    What does this applet do? How often
    is the end user likely to need it? Are
    they likely to need it (conditionally
    or otherwise) more than once? How big
    is it?

    (I doubt the strategy you are pursuing
    is the best one, and anything non-standard
    with applets, is very fragile and will
    probably lead to higher application
    maintenance costs..)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 26, 2007
  4. pat_cdp

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Mar 26, 8:33 am, "pat_cdp" <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to conditionally load a java applet? ...There are some
    > instances where my applet is not needed and therefore don't want the
    > excess overheading of loading the applet.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    It depends on the condition, and what you are using to generate your
    html page.

    Generally, the best way to approach this is to have a link to the page
    with the Applet. That way, if the user doesn't want the applet, they
    don't click on the link.

    Daniel Pitts, Mar 26, 2007
  5. On Mar 27, 3:22 am, "Daniel Pitts" <>
    wrote:
    > Generally, the best way to approach this is to have a link to the page
    > with the Applet. That way, if the user doesn't want the applet, they
    > don't click on the link.

    Damn fine suggestion. 'User empowerment' rocks.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 26, 2007