Localhost server suggestion for learning/testing AJAX??

Dave Boland

I'm in the process of learning the finer points of AJAX to do some
really cool things, but I need a way to try code. I don't want to pay
for a server that supports php and mySQL for learning, so I looked at
XAMPP. XAMPP doesn't have a lot of documentation and running mySQL
really slowed the Windows computer (required O.S. -- sorry!) Any
other suggestions for a simple localhost? I don't need FTP, SSL, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

Joost Diepenmaat

Dave Boland said:
I'm in the process of learning the finer points of AJAX to do some
really cool things, but I need a way to try code. I don't want to pay
for a server that supports php and mySQL for learning, so I looked at
XAMPP. XAMPP doesn't have a lot of documentation and running mySQL
really slowed the Windows computer (required O.S. -- sorry!) Any
other suggestions for a simple localhost? I don't need FTP, SSL, etc.

If mysql is slowing the server down, AND you want to run mysql, you'll
may just have to learn to live with it.

You might consider using some other database server. Sqlite may be
useful, depending on what servers-side language you want to use. It
should work with XAMMP.

dhtml

Yes, PHP is very easy to set up on localhost.

Or you could install Tomcat and use JSP. There's even an installer to
run Tomcat as a service. Very easy to install.

PHP is fine for simple testing, but as a language PHP sucks.

optimistx

Dave Boland wrote:
XAMPP doesn't have a lot of documentation and running mySQL
really slowed the Windows computer (required O.S. -- sorry!) Any
other suggestions for a simple localhost? I don't need FTP, SSL, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

I have been using php, mySQL even in very old 0.8 GHz
computers with 256 M RAM for testing and I am constantly astonished
of the high speed of the system. Something strange in your settings? Or
what is 'really slow'?

Dave Boland

optimistx said:
Dave Boland wrote:

I have been using php, mySQL even in very old 0.8 GHz
computers with 256 M RAM for testing and I am constantly astonished
of the high speed of the system. Something strange in your settings? Or
what is 'really slow'?

It is a stock XAMPP installation. When MySQL is started the cursor
flickers and response to either mouse of keyboard is extremely slow.
After about 10 minutes I get the dreaded blue screen of death. The
processor is 1.8 GHz, 256 MB RAM, so power should be there. I looked
at the FAQ, but didn't see anything that applied.

Dave,

Joe Butler

If you are using Windows 9x, as your message headers seem to suggest, then
it might be worthwhile to switch to XP instead. This is rock solid and you
shouldn't expect any crashes or bluescreens unless you are have dodgy
drivers or faulty hardware or stressing things by overclocking, etc.

Is there are setting in the XAMPP installation that allows you to set the
priority that it runs at? If there is, make sure it's set to normal.

What is the processor usage when you run XAMPP?
What else is running at the same time?

And, don't appologise for running Windows.