Localization: user selectable UICulture w/ UICulture = auto

Guest

Hi,

I am running into a problem of mixing UICulture = auto and allowing users to
select culture using a dropdown list.

I am detecting a querystring, "setlang", and when found, setting the
CurrentUICulture to what's specified in the querystring. Since I want to
allow UICulture auto detecting, I add UICulture = "auto" to page directive on
each page.

Now, here is the problem: I don't know on what event (page or application) I
should set the CurrentUICulture based on the querystring, "setlang".

Since the UICulture = "auto", I cannot utilize any of the application events
to set CurrentUICulture. I could use PostAcquireRequestState if UICulture is
not auto on in page directive.

I cannot use page event effectively either. I tried to set CurrentUICulture
based on querystring in Page.PreInit. It seems that if I programmatically set
control's text to a resource string (textbox1.text =
resources.language.astring) everything works fine, but if I use explicit
binding declaratively on the control (<%$ Resources: language, astring%>), it
ignores the CurrentUICulture set in Page.PreInit and displays the string from
the culture the page auto detects. Not being able to bind declaratively is a
produtivity killer and therefore not acceptable.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can accomplish this?
I will repeat what I want to accomplish:

1) UICulture = "auto" on page directive (or can I set it somewhere else?)
2) user selectable cultures
3) being able to bind resources to control declaratively (<%$ Resources:
language, astring%>)

Guest

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Actually what's in the blog is what I did in my code
already. The only difference is that he uses PreRequestHandlerExecute and I
used PostAcquireRequestState (no difference)

However, I found the solution: if you want uiculture=auto while still
allowing user to change uiculture, the only way is to set uiculture = auto in
web.config and not on the page. When uiculture = auto is set in web.config,
we can use application event to override it, but when uiculture=auto is set
in page directive, you cannot override it for declaratively bound resources.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Samuel,

I've also got the result you mentioned on my local enviornment.
=================
if you want uiculture=auto while still
allowing user to change uiculture, the only way is to set uiculture = auto
in
web.config and not on the page. When uiculture = auto is set in web.config,
we can use application event to override it, but when uiculture=auto is set
in page directive, you cannot override it for declaratively bound resources.
================

I think the difference between the UICulture in @page directive and
web.config maybe the @Page directive's setting will be forced in some
internal time during the page's processing which makes our adjusting in
application level event be overrided. Anyway, IMO, we'd recommend that we
avoiding using the "Auto" setting together with custom culture handling ,
thus there will exist no such potiential conflict.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
> [...]
| > > CurrentUICulture based on querystring in Page.PreInit. It seems that
| > > if I programmatically set control's text to a resource string
| > > (textbox1.text = resources.language.astring) everything works fine,
| > > but if I use explicit binding declaratively on the control (<%$
| > > Resources: language, astring%>), it ignores the CurrentUICulture set
| > > in Page.PreInit and displays the string from the culture the page auto
| > > detects. Not being able to bind declaratively is a produtivity killer
| > > and therefore not acceptable.
| > >
| > > Can anyone shed some light on how I can accomplish this? I will repeat
| > > what I want to accomplish:
| > >
| > > 1) UICulture = "auto" on page directive (or can I set it somewhere
| > > else?)
| > > 2) user selectable cultures
| > > 3) being able to bind resources to control declaratively (<%$

Guest

Thanks Steven for your reply. Yes, I think the same too, but I also think
that being able to auto select UIculture for users while allowing them to
choose ui is a very nice feature if you want pefect globalization for your
app. Thus, setting UICulture = auto in web.config seems like a good solution
to me.. are you telling me you are afraid that in the future this behavior
could change?

By the way, can you please check out this new thread of mine, titled

"reference web control in dynamically added user control, ASP.NET 2"

I am not sure how I can send you directly the URL to the post, but you
should be able to see it on the first page of this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your prompt response Samuel,

En, yes, though I'm not absolutely sure whether this is changable through
different version, but since its a undocumented behavior, generally we can
not guarantee it. Anyway, I think its ok that you leave it as you currently
do.

In addition, as for the new thread you mentioned, did you just post it
right now? If so, maybe it hasn't been synchornized to our internal
program, I also search it on google and didn't find it. I'll monitor it
later. In addition, for asp.net 2.0 issue, we also suggest you try posting
in the

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/default.aspx

msdn forum since sometimes there have some .net dev team's members there.