log4r unpack problems

Yoram Bernet

I was just starting to use log4r and everything was going peachy until I
tired to unpack it into my local vendor/gems. The next time I tried to
load my rails environment, I got:

config.gem: Unpacked gem log4r-1.1.2 in vendor/gems has no specification
file. Run 'rake gems:refresh_specs' to fix this

and:

no such file to load -- log4r

So - I dutifully tried running rake gems:refresh_specs, only to get:

rake aborted!
undefined method `installed_source_index' for
#<Gem::SourceIndex:0x2b4a6fc>

As a result, I was stuck. I could no longer load my environment.

After a lot of head scratching, a co-developer recommended renaming the
'src' folder in the log4r gems dir to 'lib'.

This magically works. I can now load my environment, although I still
get that pesky message about the specification file missing.

Any suggestion sas to how to clean this up would be very much
appreciated.

Yoram

Tim Pease

I was just starting to use log4r and everything was going peachy until = I
tired to unpack it into my local vendor/gems. The next time I tried to
load my rails environment, I got:
=20
[...]

Log4r is no longer developed / supported. You should try the "logging" =
framework instead. It is not a direct replacement, but it is actively =
developed and supported.

http://github.com/TwP/logging

Gems are available from gemcutter.

Blessings,