login feature with jsp

homecurr

I am interested in implementing the "Login" feature for my web site.
If user inputs a correct username and password, he can go forward. If
the password is not right, he will be prevented from visiting any
other page but the login pane. What technique should I use? If jsp or
servlet good for this?

THanks,

John from CA

Neill

Yes, either JSP's or Servlets can handle the job. However, using JSP's and
Servlets is not as simple as marking up HTML and ftp'ing the file(s) to an
HTTP server. Regardless of the technology you use, ASP's, Perl, PHP, etc,
you will need an application server. If all you need is an authenticated web
page, Apache HTTP server can provide that using directory security. I've set
it up myself once or twice with no special tools other than the
documentation. Apache HTPP 2.x is available at http://www.apache.org

If you need an application server for writing dynamic web applications, then
J2EE, .NET, or PHP fit the bill. If you need a robust, scalable,
cross-platform language, that isn't limited to only writing web apps, then
J2EE is the right choice.

Neill
http://www.laneyconsulting.com

Sudsy

Neill wrote:
If you need an application server for writing dynamic web applications, then
J2EE, .NET, or PHP fit the bill. If you need a robust, scalable,
cross-platform language, that isn't limited to only writing web apps, then
J2EE is the right choice.

With all due respect, there's still a place for servlet/JSP containers
(a la Tomcat) in the mix. I recommend J2EE only for those applications
which truly require the power provided by the platform.
Don't buy what you don't need, eh?

Guest

Neill wrote:

With all due respect, there's still a place for servlet/JSP containers
(a la Tomcat) in the mix. I recommend J2EE only for those applications
which truly require the power provided by the platform.
Don't buy what you don't need, eh?

Uh, servlets and jsps are part of J2EE aren't they?

Tony Morris

Uh, servlets and jsps are part of J2EE aren't they?

Yes.
The statement is analagous to "I recommend driving a car, not a motor
vehicle."

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

Sudsy

Tony said:
Yes.
The statement is analagous to "I recommend driving a car, not a motor
vehicle."

Thanks Tony!

To nospam: Why would you buy a Ferrari if you're limited to 70mph?
Yes, JSPs and servlets are components of the J2EE framework. But
not everyone needs the sophisticated transaction management and
other features which are also incorporated.

To Neil: I was merely suggesting that there's a middle ground.

To homecurr: The Apache/Tomcat combination is a powerful platform
which enables me to provide e-commerce solutions at affordable
prices. Compare at US$35K for IBM WebSphere...

But to be completely honest and fair, that cost can be justified
depending upon the application you're planning to deploy. I'll
still take WebSphere AS backed with DB/2 for a mission-critical,
24x7x365 app any day of the week!

So is my position clear?

Tony Morris

Can I have some example please?

John from CA

(e-mail address removed) wrote in message

google for "J2EE security".

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)