logins and passwords

Doug Detchon

Currently I'm trying to make a page and I want to encode it with a log in
that requires a password. Can anyone give me some tips on how to accomplish
this or what langs should look into to develop this.

Roy Schestowitz

Doug said:
Currently I'm trying to make a page and I want to encode it with a log in
that requires a password. Can anyone give me some tips on how to
accomplish this or what langs should look into to develop this.

Are you on a Window$ server or a Linux server? This is important because
dealing this at server-level can make your life much easier...

Karl Core

Doug Detchon said:
Currently I'm trying to make a page and I want to encode it with a log in
that requires a password. Can anyone give me some tips on how to
accomplish
this or what langs should look into to develop this.

1) Use server-side, not client-side methods to perform this. You can use any
server-side language you want.
2) If this login area contains anything that's truly private (such as
personal/ financial info) you need to encrypt the passwords in the database
(and of course the personal info as well)
3) Provide informative error messages during validation of the login info.
Don't just say "you screwed up". If they screwed up their username, tell
them. If they screwed up the password, tell them.
4) Be sure to provide some method of password/ username retrieval. Believe
me, you don't want to deal with countless emails by morons who can't
remember their login details.
5) Do not use the users' email address as their username. People change
their addresses.