Looking for a good book

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Christoph, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Christoph

    Christoph Guest

    I was browsing both the Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites
    looking for some good books but there appears to be *so* many
    and it's hard to tell which are going to be good or not.

    I'm looking for one or two *good* books on the subjects of
    ASP.NET and ADO.NET together. E.g., using ASP.NET on the
    front end to communicate with a back end database via ADO.NET.
    I'm hoping to find a mid-level type of book. I've been using PHP
    and MySQL for the last 6+ years so I'm not unfamiliar with creating
    database driven websites. However, I'm just unfamiliar with creating
    database driven websites using the ASP/ADO.NET and it'd be nice
    to find some good books targetted at someone like me.

    So can you guys could recommend some *good* books I could
    look at for purchase?

    Thanks for your time and assistance!

    Christoph

    Christoph, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Programming Microsoft ASP.NET
    by Dino Esposito

    With best Regards
    Shankara Narayanan

    Shankara Narayanan, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Hi

    1. Microsoft ASP.Net Unleashed
    2. Microsoft ADO.Net of PHI publishers

    or choose equivalent books fro wrox publications

    regards

    Anil pathania

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5pbCBLLiBQYXRoYW5pYQ==?=, Jun 30, 2004
  4. For what it's worth....I'm loving this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590591062/103-0780271-3409430?_encoding=UTF8

    And HATED this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201760398/103-0780271-3409430?_encoding=UTF8

    And have found this book useful:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._books_1/103-0780271-3409430?v=glance&s=books

    D. Shane Fowlkes, Jun 30, 2004
  5. That's surprising, I loved Pattison/Onions book - what didn't you like
    about it?

    --

    W.G. Ryan, eMVP

    Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?
    Let Microsoft know!
    https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups

    William Ryan eMVP, Jun 30, 2004
  6. I agree with the recommendation on Esposito's book. I'd also recommend
    Programming Data Driven Web Applications with ASP.NET by Mack and Seven
    (Sams Press).

    William Ryan eMVP, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Perhaps "hated" is too strong of a word. Let's just say I was very humbled
    when reading this book. I considered myself a fairly skilled programmer
    until I tried reading this book. I thought it dove deeeeep into the abyss
    of the .NET framework and assumed you clearly understood all the concepts he
    discussed ...which of course I didn't. I kept saying to myself
    "..whoa...huh?...slow down baby!..."

    =)

    D. Shane Fowlkes, Jun 30, 2004