    easier.

    Thanks,
    Darren

    Darren Dale, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Darren Dale

    Jonas Galvez Guest

    Darren Dale wrote:
    > I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts

    This is just about the best introduction to OOP I have ever seen:

    http://www.debreuil.com/docs/ch01_Intro.htm

    This is a very well written and illustrated tutorial which should get
    you started on the whole thing. It is focused on (Flash) ActionScript
    (a JavaScript implementation) programming. JavaScript and Python are
    very similar languages when it comes to OOP and functional
    programming. Although JavaScript is prototype based, it still
    resembles a lof of the characterists of Python. You might even be able
    to grasp concepts like meta-classes more easily if you are familiar
    with the JavaScript prototype mechanism.

    As they say, JavaScript is under-rated.

    \\ jonas galvez
    // jonasgalvez.com

    Jonas Galvez, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Darren Dale

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:03:34 -0500, Darren Dale
    <> wrote:
    > I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts, like design
    > and techniques. I have experience with Matlab and Python, a little with

    My personal favourites are Timothy Budd's book which uses several
    languages to illustrate concepts - I personally like to see how
    different languages do things. Translating those examples back to
    Python would be instructive too.

    Also Grady Booch's (now ancient!) OO A&D book is worth a read
    (again I prefer the multi lingual first edition, but
    the C++ only 2nd edition is OK.) This gives you some different
    application types and sizes to consider how OOP works. This is
    effective because often the real value of OOOP is most apparent
    on larger scale projects.

    Finally Cetus-Links is a great web resource for OOP sites.

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website

    Alan Gauld, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Darren Dale

    Mike Meyer Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I would like to learn more about object oriented concepts, like design
    > and techniques. I have experience with Matlab and Python, a little with

    I consider Bertrand Meyer's "Object Oriented Software Construction" a
    must read for OO developers. It is getting dated, though.

    <mike

    Mike Meyer, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Darren Dale

    Neuruss Guest

    I assume that you already know the basics, but if you're just starting
    out and you need a very clear, simple and real life example of OOP
    concepts in action, I suggest Alan Gauld's online tutorial (see third
    post above).

    He introduces OOP with an example of a banking application.
    This was just what I needed to make the mental "switch" to understand
    OOP.
    I think this example is an excellent one for somebody new to OOP
    concepts.

    By the way, thanks Alan!

    Neuruss, Nov 24, 2004