    sure where to start looking or what this might be called.

    Thanks.
    , Mar 24, 2006

  2. James McGill Guest

    On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 20:12 -0800, wrote:

    > Imagine using MS Visio and creating boxes that have connections between
    > them, and you can move them around and the connections stay together.
    > That is basically what I'm looking for.

    I've tried quite a few things, and always just come back to Visio. So
    much, that I have a VMWare instance that's essentially just for running
    Visio.
    James McGill, Mar 24, 2006

    James McGill wrote:
    > On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 20:12 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > I've tried quite a few things, and always just come back to Visio. So
    > much, that I have a VMWare instance that's essentially just for running
    > Visio.

    I wish I could use Visio, but this needs to be a Java based tool. I
    see a Graphical Editing Framework (Eclipse) is something that might
    help me...but I need to be able to write control it via an API. I'm
    sure that works with GEF, but I'm too impatient to learn this massive
    tool. It seems too much.

    Are there competitors to the GEF?
    , Mar 24, 2006
  4. James McGill Guest

    On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 21:36 -0800, wrote:

    > I wish I could use Visio, but this needs to be a Java based tool.

    Visual Paradigm. Rational System Architect. Poseidon/Argo.
    I'd like to hear about any others.
    James McGill, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > I say *UML* because it may not be what I'm looking for.

    A mistake to mention it then -- people won't all realise that what you are
    looking for is graph (network) visualisation.

    > DOes anybody know of a Java based tool that can do this for me?

    One package:
    http://jung.sourceforge.net/

    Another:
    http://www.jgraph.com/

    Googling for

    (graph OR network) java swing

    seems to find lots of other stuff.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Mar 24, 2006

    Chris Uppal wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I say *UML* because it may not be what I'm looking for.

    > A mistake to mention it then -- people won't all realise that what you are
    > looking for is graph (network) visualisation.

    Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure how to name it so I did
    the best I could. I like your examples too.

    -- Steve
    , Mar 27, 2006