Looking for a Ruby Programmer Looking for a Fun Project. ;)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mark, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

    I'm in Seattle, and have only just found out about Ruby (and Rails), and
    am pretty excited about them for the project I'm currently noodling
    with. It's a fairly simple web game idea that I think fits well with
    the database-structure of Ruby (as I understand it). It's a
    turn-a-day, interactive kinda thing with (hopefully) a fun twist - my
    friends want to play it, at least, and I guess we'll see from there. ;)

    My programming experience basically consists of (ahem) BASIC since about
    third grade or so. It's suited me well for some little apps and games,
    but it seems time to move to a language suited for web application, and
    my impression is that Ruby is powerful, well-suited to this, and not
    impossible for someone like me to try and learn.

    I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
    implementing the design I have, and learn along the way. (I can't stand
    the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
    Ruby to implement it myself.)

    If you'd like to chat about it, or point me toward someone who sounds
    like a good fit, I'm at . Thanks! I'm glad to be
    learning about all this.

    Best,

    Mark

    Mark, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Mark

    Gene Tani Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

    > I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
    > implementing the design I have, and learn along the way. (I can't stand
    > the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
    > Ruby to implement it myself.)

    maybe post at
    http://jobs.rubynow.com/

    try to get a certified develoepr:

    http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/Ruby-jobs.asp
    Gene Tani, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Mark

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Gene Tani <> wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >> hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

    >> I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
    >> implementing the design I have, and learn along the way. (I can't stand
    >> the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
    >> Ruby to implement it myself.)
    >>

    >maybe post at
    >http://jobs.rubynow.com/
    >
    >try to get a certified develoepr:
    >
    >http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/Ruby-jobs.asp

    There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Mark

    Zed Shaw Guest

    On 3/10/06 5:03 AM, "Phil Tomson" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Gene Tani <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>> hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

    >>> I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
    >>> implementing the design I have, and learn along the way. (I can't stand
    >>> the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
    >>> Ruby to implement it myself.)
    >>>

    >> maybe post at
    >> http://jobs.rubynow.com/
    >>
    >> try to get a certified develoepr:
    >>
    >> http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/Ruby-jobs.asp

    > There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.

    Yeah, where the hell did that come from? Are the certification vultures
    already circling Ruby? Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
    language at all.

    Crazy.

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/
    Zed Shaw, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Mark

    gregarican Guest

    Zed Shaw wrote:

    > Yeah, where the hell did that come from? Are the certification vultures
    > already circling Ruby? Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
    > language at all.
    >
    > Crazy.
    >

    > Zed A. Shaw

    Hey, I am a proud MCSE from 1999 or so. That and $1.00 will get me a
    warm cup of coffee. Oops. Forgot that Internet cafe shut down right
    after I got my MCSE :)
    gregarican, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Mark

    Gene Tani Guest

    Phil Tomson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Gene Tani <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Mark wrote:
    > >> hi there, I'm glad to have found this forum.

    > >> I'm hoping to find an already-experienced programming interested in
    > >> implementing the design I have, and learn along the way. (I can't stand
    > >> the thought of making this cool idea wait for me to get good enough at
    > >> Ruby to implement it myself.)
    > >>

    > >maybe post at
    > >http://jobs.rubynow.com/
    > >
    > >try to get a certified develoepr:
    > >
    > >http://www.expertrating.com/jobs/Programming-jobs/Ruby-jobs.asp

    > There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.
    >
    > Phil

    OP Mark:

    The certification part was tongue in cheek, should've made that clear.
    Gene Tani, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Mark

    James Britt Guest

    Zed Shaw wrote:

    > On 3/10/06 5:03 AM, "Phil Tomson" <> wrote:

    >>There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.

    > Yeah, where the hell did that come from? Are the certification vultures
    > already circling Ruby? Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
    > language at all.

    I'm pretty sure I'm certified.

    :)

    > Crazy.

    Oh, indeed.

    --
    James Britt

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools
    James Britt, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Mark

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    On 3/10/06, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Zed Shaw wrote:
    > >

    > > On 3/10/06 5:03 AM, "Phil Tomson" <> wrote:

    > >>There is no Ruby certification... and hopefully there won't be.

    > > Yeah, where the hell did that come from? Are the certification vulture=

    > > already circling Ruby? Like that helped Java, Delphi, VB, or any other
    > > language at all.

    > I'm pretty sure I'm certified.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > > Crazy.

    > Oh, indeed.

    I just certified myself by proclamation, just as a precaution... :)

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Mar 10, 2006
  9. Mark

    Dirk Meijer Guest

    ------=_Part_8810_14820710.1142012222565

    2006/3/10, Curt Hibbs <>:

    > I just certified myself by proclamation, just as a precaution... :)
    >
    > Curt

    i refuse to be certified.. and i wouldn't be, if i hadn't refused..

    anyway, we're getting extremely off-topic.
    the project sounds very interesting, and i would be somewhat interested..
    though i'm not very experienced in Ruby (i have most of the knowledge, just
    didn't apply most of it) and have zero knowledge of rails, if i could assis=
    someone else in this project, i would be interested :)
    greetings, Dirk.

    ------=_Part_8810_14820710.1142012222565--
    Dirk Meijer, Mar 10, 2006
  10. On 3/10/06, Dirk Meijer <> wrote:
    > 2006/3/10, Curt Hibbs <>:
    > >
    > > I just certified myself by proclamation, just as a precaution... :)
    > >
    > > Curt

    > i refuse to be certified.. and i wouldn't be, if i hadn't refused..
    >
    > anyway, we're getting extremely off-topic.
    > the project sounds very interesting, and i would be somewhat interested..
    > though i'm not very experienced in Ruby (i have most of the knowledge, ju=

    st
    > didn't apply most of it) and have zero knowledge of rails, if i could ass=

    ist
    > someone else in this project, i would be interested :)
    > greetings, Dirk.

    Mark,

    Why don't you explain the game if it is not too complicated either
    here or someplace else on the web (and give us the link). You will
    probably increase your signal to noise ratio.

    pth
    Patrick Hurley, Mar 10, 2006