Looking for a web-based messaging system

Mike Meyer

One of my clients has a need for a web-based messaging
system. Something python-based is preferred, as that's where our
expertise is, but web frameworks built in Python are perfectly
acceptable. If you know of something really good that isn't in Python,
I wouldn't mind hearing about it - but I do have a long list of
non-python solutions.

I've got a pretty full set of requirements. Basically, the user should
log in to the web site and get a list of outstanding messages. It
*has* to support multiple browser windows with different views of the
list.

Capabilities wanted include sorting in both directions and on multiple
fields. Filtering based on arbitrary fields - including both ANDing
and ORing together filtering criteria. It should be possible to group
group. Likewise, it should be possible to fold related messages into
a single line, and unfold specific instances.

We'd like the messages to be stored in an SQL database - we're using
postgres - so we can use our existing report generation tools.

The only licensing requirement is that we get source so we can tailor
the product to our needs. Commercial is perfectly fine. GPL is
acceptable, but not preferred.

So far, the only thing I've found that comes remotely close to this is
BoBoMail.

Thanks,
<mike