looking for an algorithm for layout

Max Odendahl

Hi,

I am looking for algorithms to layout rectangles underneath each other in a
sidebar. All rectangles have different heights as well as an ankor point.
The rectangle can have scrollbars, but should be as large as possible and as
close to the ankor as possible.

Any known algorithms for such a problem in the field of computer science?

Best regards
Max

PS: not sure if this is the best group to ask, but I did not find an
algorithm newsgroup

Mark P

Max said:
Hi,

I am looking for algorithms to layout rectangles underneath each other in a
sidebar. All rectangles have different heights as well as an ankor point.
The rectangle can have scrollbars, but should be as large as possible and as
close to the ankor as possible.

You need to provide a clearer explanation of the problem.
Best regards
Max

PS: not sure if this is the best group to ask, but I did not find an
algorithm newsgroup

Try comp.programming

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Hi,

I am looking for algorithms to layout rectangles underneath each other in a
sidebar. All rectangles have different heights as well as an ankor point.
The rectangle can have scrollbars, but should be as large as possible and as
close to the ankor as possible.

Any known algorithms for such a problem in the field of computer science?

Just a guess, but it seems like you are trying to layout some controls
in a GUI. Unless there's some good reason to do the layout yourself
you should see if there isn't one (or more) layouts available in the
framework you are using to create the GUI.

Max Odendahl

Hi,
I am looking for algorithms to layout rectangles underneath each other in
a sidebar. All rectangles have different heights as well as an ankor
point. The rectangle can have scrollbars, but should be as large as
possible and as close to the ankor as possible.

Any known algorithms for such a problem in the field of computer science?

As an example, I am talking about sth like the layout of the comment
functionality in word processors.

Regards
Max