    Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
    developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
    consider. Read the review here: http://www.techbookreport.com

    TechBookReport, Feb 19, 2004

  2. TechBookReport

    pete Guest

    TechBookReport wrote:

    > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
    > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
    > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
    > consider. Read the review here: http://www.techbookreport.com

    The "continued" link for "C Programming In Easy Steps",
    goes to the wrong URL.

    It's supposed to be
    http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0065.html
    instead of
    http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0064.html

    --
    pete

    pete, Feb 19, 2004

  3. "pete" <> wrote in message
    > TechBookReport wrote:
    > >
    > > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
    > > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
    > > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
    > > consider. Read the review here: http://www.techbookreport.com

    > The "continued" link for "C Programming In Easy Steps",
    > goes to the wrong URL.
    >
    > It's supposed to be
    > http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0065.html
    > instead of
    > http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0064.html
    >
    > --
    > pete

    Thanks!! Now corrected.

    TechBookReport, Feb 19, 2004
  4. TechBookReport wrote:

    > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
    > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
    > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
    > consider.

    What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern Approach",
    or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
    is it /inferior/ to those books?

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Feb 20, 2004
  5. TechBookReport

    Richard Bos Guest

    "TechBookReport" <> wrote:

    > "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    > > TechBookReport wrote:
    > >
    > > > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
    > > > Steps',

    > > What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern Approach",
    > > or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
    > > is it /inferior/ to those books?

    > K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book for
    > the absolute beginner, IMHO.

    _C_ is not suitable for the absolute beginner. K&R is perfect for
    someone who can already program, but does not yet know C.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Feb 20, 2004
  6. "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    > TechBookReport wrote:
    >
    > > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
    > > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
    > > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
    > > consider.

    > What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern

    Approach",
    > or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
    > is it /inferior/ to those books?
    >
    > --
    > Richard Heathfield :
    > "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
    > C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    > K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton

    K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book for
    the absolute beginner, IMHO.

    'C: How To Program' has a much wider scope, and also includes more
    introductory programming material (i.e. the core principles of structured
    programming). It also covers some of the more advanced material that is
    missing from 'C Programming In Easy Steps'. As the review states, this is a
    book that focuses on syntax and uses very small examples programs to
    illustrate that.

    Can't comment on 'C: Programming A Modern Approach', unfortunately.

    HTH

    Pan
    TechBookReport: http://www.techbookreport.com

    TechBookReport, Feb 20, 2004
  7. TechBookReport wrote:

    > "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    >> TechBookReport wrote:
    >>
    >> > TechBookReport have just published a review of 'C Programming In Easy
    >> > Steps', if you're a C beginner looking for an intro book (or an ex-C
    >> > developer looking for a quick refresh), ready why this is a book to
    >> > consider.

    >> What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern

    > Approach",
    >> or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"? And in what ways
    >> is it /inferior/ to those books?
    >>

    > K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book
    > for the absolute beginner, IMHO.

    It's fine for those beginning C, if they already know how to program. Your
    review states (IIRC) that the book you mention doesn't bother with all the
    preamble about how to program, but gets straight into C syntax. So it seems
    that the two books address the same audience - those who already know how
    to program but don't know C.

    So - why should people buy this book rather than K&R?

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Feb 20, 2004
  8. "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    > TechBookReport wrote:
    > > "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message

    > >> What advantages does it have over, say, "C Programming: A Modern
    > >> Approach", or "The C Programming Language", or "C: How to Program"?
    > >> And in what ways is it /inferior/ to those books?
    > >>

    > > K&R is more suited to experienced programmers, it's certainly not a book
    > > for the absolute beginner, IMHO.

    > It's fine for those beginning C, if they already know how to program. Your
    > review states (IIRC) that the book you mention doesn't bother with all the
    > preamble about how to program, but gets straight into C syntax. So it
    > seems that the two books address the same audience - those who already
    > know how to program but don't know C.
    >
    > So - why should people buy this book rather than K&R?

    It may not be possible for a single book reviewer to answer that. No book
    will cater for _all_ learning styles. K&R2 was/is well written from my
    perspective, but I've known plenty of fellow students who found it a rather
    'dry' read, far too concise, and hence not conducive to their needs.

    Millage can and does vary amongst individuals.

    Note that there is another review of this book at ACCU...

    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/c/c003350.htm

    ....which points out that it specifically targets Windows and Linux users.
    Although it claims ANSI C conformance, it seems to have some serious issues
    in that regard. The closing paragraph is perhaps significant.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Nilsson, Feb 22, 2004