Looking for C++ IDE,...

Kerem Gümrükcü

Hi,

i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

What can you recommend,...?

Thanks in advance,...

Regards

Kerem

--
-----------------------
Beste Grüsse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

Victor Bazarov

Kerem said:
i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, [..]

What can you recommend,...?

I recommend asking in a Windows programming newsgroup.

Kerem Gümrükcü

Thanks for the reply, i am currenty having
a look at Open Watcom C++ and Ultimate C++.
Ultimate C++ looks fine, especially it has a simple
build interface that will make switch between x64/64
easy,...so it looks at first,...

Regards

Kerem

--
-----------------------

Victor Bazarov said:
Kerem said:
i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, [..]

What can you recommend,...?

I recommend asking in a Windows programming newsgroup.

BGB / cr88192

Kerem Gümrükcü said:
Hi,

i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

What can you recommend,...?

Eclipse?...

I guess some people like it, but personally I have not used it (never really
felt that much need for IDE's, personally, but I guess they have their
appeal).

admitted, IDE's are not strictly topical for a C++ group (after all, we all
know that the one true build system is Makefile's...).

going OT here:
it is my personal observation that thus far, MSVC is seemingly the only
"good" compiler with "good" Win64 support at present. MinGW-w64 exists, but
I am less certain about its present reliability (may be worth a try though).

but, if cost is the concern, the Windows SDK is a free download FWIW.
it could then be "possible" to make a free setup with Eclipse+MSVC (granted,
I have not tried this).

(I am using a current build setup of GNU Make + MSVC...).

note:
here I am using MSVC to refer to the backend compiler (comes free with the
Windows SDK), in contrast to Visual Studio (which costs money, except as
'Express'), which is the IDE (and which uses the MSVC compiler as a
backend).

note that to make really any of this work well may require a slight bit of
fiddly (as in editing files, setting up environment variables, ...).

jamm

Kerem said:
Hi,

i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

What can you recommend,...?

Thanks in advance,...

Regards

Kerem

CodeBlocks is nice. Not sure if it supports 64bit cross compiling though.

--
*From the 1966 TV series:*
Robin: You can't get away from Batman that easy!

Wing

Hi,

i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

What can you recommend,...?

Thanks in advance,...

Regards

Kerem
This link might help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C.2FC.2B.2B

Branimir Maksimovic

Kerem said:
Hi,

i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.)

I used code blocks, but vc express is better anyway, and pretty
good. For resource editing and things missing in free version of vc ide,
you can find free substitutes.
Besides that my main c++ ide is
http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/index.html

Greets

John Koy

Kerem said:
Hi,

i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

The only feasible option for you is Visual Studio, no need to become a
dreamer. Besides, Windows API is C-based. It doesn't mean you cannot
develop C++ software using a C API, but it's not practical.
Actually, I doubt you want to develop with C++, it all sounds like you
really are using C.

Jorgen Grahn

The only feasible option for you is Visual Studio, no need to become a
dreamer. Besides, Windows API is C-based. It doesn't mean you cannot
develop C++ software using a C API, but it's not practical.

Huh? I spend my days doing C++ programming on Unix, which only has a
C API. It's definitely practical.

And come to think of it, Windows' MFC is a C++ API. (A dreaded one,
but still ...)
Actually, I doubt you want to develop with C++, it all sounds like you
really are using C.

Seriously? You have no information to support that.

Or maybe you are simply trolling ...

/Jorgen