Looking for C++ IDE,...

Discussion in 'C++' started by Kerem Gümrükcü, Jan 29, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
    important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
    for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
    included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
    a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
    foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

    What can you recommend,...?

    Thanks in advance,...

    Regards

    Kerem

    --
    -----------------------
    Beste Grüsse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

    Kerem Gümrükcü, Jan 29, 2010

  2. Kerem Gümrükcü wrote:
    > i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, [..]
    >
    > What can you recommend,...?

    I recommend asking in a Windows programming newsgroup.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 29, 2010

  3. Thanks for the reply, i am currenty having
    a look at Open Watcom C++ and Ultimate C++.
    Ultimate C++ looks fine, especially it has a simple
    build interface that will make switch between x64/64
    easy,...so it looks at first,...

    Regards

    Kerem

    --
    -----------------------

    Kerem Gümrükcü, Jan 29, 2010
  4. "Kerem Gümrükcü" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    > can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
    > important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
    > for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
    > included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
    > a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
    > foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.
    >
    > What can you recommend,...?

    Eclipse?...

    I guess some people like it, but personally I have not used it (never really
    felt that much need for IDE's, personally, but I guess they have their
    appeal).

    admitted, IDE's are not strictly topical for a C++ group (after all, we all
    know that the one true build system is Makefile's...).

    going OT here:
    it is my personal observation that thus far, MSVC is seemingly the only
    "good" compiler with "good" Win64 support at present. MinGW-w64 exists, but
    I am less certain about its present reliability (may be worth a try though).

    but, if cost is the concern, the Windows SDK is a free download FWIW.
    it could then be "possible" to make a free setup with Eclipse+MSVC (granted,
    I have not tried this).

    (I am using a current build setup of GNU Make + MSVC...).

    note:
    here I am using MSVC to refer to the backend compiler (comes free with the
    Windows SDK), in contrast to Visual Studio (which costs money, except as
    'Express'), which is the IDE (and which uses the MSVC compiler as a
    backend).

    note that to make really any of this work well may require a slight bit of
    fiddly (as in editing files, setting up environment variables, ...).

    BGB / cr88192, Jan 29, 2010
  5. Kerem Gümrükcü

    jamm Guest

    Kerem Gümrükcü wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    > can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
    > important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
    > for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
    > included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
    > a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
    > foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.
    >
    > What can you recommend,...?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,...
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kerem

    CodeBlocks is nice. Not sure if it supports 64bit cross compiling though.

    --
    *From the 1966 TV series:*
    Robin: You can't get away from Batman that easy!

    jamm, Jan 29, 2010
  6. Kerem Gümrükcü

    Wing Guest

    On 1/29/2010 7:27 AM, Kerem Gümrükcü wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    > can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
    > important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
    > for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
    > included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
    > a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
    > foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.
    >
    > What can you recommend,...?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,...
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kerem

    This link might help
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C.2FC.2B.2B

    --
    Wing

    Wing, Jan 30, 2010
  7. Kerem Gümrükcü wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    > can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.)

    I used code blocks, but vc express is better anyway, and pretty
    good. For resource editing and things missing in free version of vc ide,
    you can find free substitutes.
    Besides that my main c++ ide is
    http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/index.html

    Greets

    Branimir Maksimovic, Jan 31, 2010
  8. Kerem Gümrükcü

    John Koy Guest

    Kerem Gümrükcü wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    > can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
    > important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
    > for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
    > included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
    > a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
    > foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

    The only feasible option for you is Visual Studio, no need to become a
    dreamer. Besides, Windows API is C-based. It doesn't mean you cannot
    develop C++ software using a C API, but it's not practical.
    Actually, I doubt you want to develop with C++, it all sounds like you
    really are using C.

    John Koy, Feb 1, 2010
  9. Kerem Gümrükcü

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Mon, 2010-02-01, John Koy wrote:
    > Kerem Gümrükcü wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> i am looking fo a (free, non-microsoft!) C++ IDE for windows, that
    >> can do most of the MSVC++ stuff (resources, projects, etc.) but most
    >> important is the abillity to easily switch between processor targets
    >> for the compiler/linker e.g. it should have a 32 and 64 bit compiler
    >> included in the environment and 64 bit code can be compiled on
    >> a 32 bit system. I want to target Windows only (windows api is the
    >> foundation or will be), so there is no need to use a mixed environment.

    > The only feasible option for you is Visual Studio, no need to become a
    > dreamer. Besides, Windows API is C-based. It doesn't mean you cannot
    > develop C++ software using a C API, but it's not practical.

    Huh? I spend my days doing C++ programming on Unix, which only has a
    C API. It's definitely practical.

    And come to think of it, Windows' MFC is a C++ API. (A dreaded one,
    but still ...)

    > Actually, I doubt you want to develop with C++, it all sounds like you
    > really are using C.

    Seriously? You have no information to support that.

    Or maybe you are simply trolling ...

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .