Looking for help getting tkinter to work.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Shue Boks, Nov 1, 2009.

  1. Shue Boks

    Shue Boks Guest

    I tried to compile Python and Tcl/Tk on Linux using the following
    files:

    Python-3.1.1.tar.gz
    tcl8.5.7-src.tar.gz

    Cannot get tkinter to work after compiling & installing Tcl/Tk. I get
    the following error after compiling Python:

    "Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
    were not found:
    _tkinter
    To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
    the module's name."

    Are the above files the correct versions to get tkinter to work?

    Thanks.
    Shue Boks, Nov 1, 2009

  2. On Nov 1, 4:06 am, Shue Boks <> wrote:
    > I tried to compile Python and Tcl/Tk on Linux using the following
    > files:
    >
    > Python-3.1.1.tar.gz
    > tcl8.5.7-src.tar.gz
    >
    > Cannot get tkinter to work after compiling & installing Tcl/Tk.  I get
    > the following error after compiling Python:
    >
    > "Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
    > were not found:
    > _tkinter
    > To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
    > the module's name."
    >
    > Are the above files the correct versions to get tkinter to work?
    >
    > Thanks.

    The version should be ok. I just compiled python3.1 against tcl/tk
    8.5, only I used
    the tcl/tk development packages coming with my distribution (Ubuntu).
    I used
    ../configure --with-tk, so if you did not, try that first.

    Did you run 'make install' during tcl/tk installation _before_ doing ./
    configure in python source
    directory?

    If so, look where the library files ( e.g. libtk8.5.so ) and include
    files (e.g tk.h ) have been placed
    and check against the places where the function 'detect_tkinter' in
    'setup.py' looks for them.

    Ciao
    -----
    FB
    Francesco Bochicchio, Nov 1, 2009

  3. Shue Boks

    Shue Boks Guest

    On Nov 1, 6:27 am, Francesco Bochicchio <> wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 4:06 am, Shue Boks <> wrote:
    >

    > > I tried to compile Python and Tcl/Tk on Linux using the following
    > > files:

    > > Python-3.1.1.tar.gz
    > > tcl8.5.7-src.tar.gz

    > > Cannot get tkinter to work after compiling & installing Tcl/Tk. I get
    > > the following error after compiling Python:

    > > "Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
    > > were not found:
    > > _tkinter
    > > To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
    > > the module's name."

    > > Are the above files the correct versions to get tkinter to work?

    > > Thanks.

    > The version should be ok. I just compiled python3.1 against tcl/tk
    > 8.5, only I used
    > the tcl/tk development packages coming with my distribution (Ubuntu).
    > I used
    > ./configure --with-tk, so if you did not, try that first.
    >
    > Did you run 'make install' during tcl/tk installation _before_ doing ./
    > configure in python source
    > directory?
    >
    > If so, look where the library files ( e.g. libtk8.5.so ) and include
    > files (e.g tk.h ) have been placed
    > and check against the places where the function 'detect_tkinter' in
    > 'setup.py' looks for them.
    >
    > Ciao
    > -----
    > FB

    Sorry for the late response, I only get a chance to play with this on
    the weekends.

    I tried everything mentioned above, but nothing seems to work. I did
    a "find / " on the two files libtk8.5.so and tk.h, it doesn't appear
    anywhere. I am really thinking that tcl8.5.7-src.tar.gz doesn't have
    the necessary files I need.

    I am using Puppy Linux which I am slowly giving up on. I love Puppy,
    but their distribution doesn't come with the tcl/tk development
    package that Ubuntu has.
    Shue Boks, Nov 8, 2009