    somebody recommend an intro C text I could throw at her?

    The learning curve in K&R is a bit too steep, but I'm not looking for "C for
    Dummies" here.
    Guy Middleton, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Guy Middleton

    Ed Morton Guest

    Guy Middleton wrote:

    > A friend want to learn C, and is already an experienced programmer -- she
    > knows VB and Java, and some application-specific HLLs (e.g. ToolBook). Could
    > somebody recommend an intro C text I could throw at her?
    >
    > The learning curve in K&R is a bit too steep, but I'm not looking for "C for
    > Dummies" here.

    See Q 18.9 and 18.10 in the FAQ:

    Ed.
    Ed Morton, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Guy Middleton wrote:

    > A friend want to learn C, and is already an experienced programmer -- she
    > knows VB and Java, and some application-specific HLLs (e.g. ToolBook). Could
    > somebody recommend an intro C text I could throw at her?
    >
    > The learning curve in K&R is a bit too steep, but I'm not looking for "C for
    > Dummies" here.

    _C Primer Plus_ has been highly recommended in this newsgroup.
    ISBN: 0-672-32222-6

    My personal favorite (besides K&R2) is _C Programming: A Modern Approach_,
    by K.N. King. ISBN: 0-393-96945-2.

    The easier of these two is _C Primer Plus_.
    Steve Zimmerman, Sep 1, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    Steve Zimmerman <> wrote:
    > _C Primer Plus_ has been highly recommended in this newsgroup.
    > ISBN: 0-672-32222-6
    >
    > My personal favorite (besides K&R2) is _C Programming: A Modern Approach_,
    > by K.N. King. ISBN: 0-393-96945-2.

    Thanks, I will look for these.
    Guy Middleton, Sep 1, 2003