    I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of newgroup, discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous programming or concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of luck. Does anybody have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss issues concerning asynchronous/concurrent programming with some people who know about it and its difficulties and challenges.

    Thank you, Oliver
    , Oct 19, 2012

  2. On Friday, October 19, 2012 8:49:07 AM UTC+2, wrote:
    > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of newgroup, discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous programming or concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of luck. Does anybody have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss issues concerning asynchronous/concurrent programming with some people who know about it and its difficulties andchallenges.

    I am not aware of a forum dedicated specifically to this topic. Usually such things are discussed on forums for advanced topics for individual programming languages or environments. Having said that there's a fairly good chance that you will find competent peers for this topic here.

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Oct 19, 2012

  3. Stuart Guest

    On 10/19/12 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of
    > newgroup, discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous
    > programming or concurrent programming. To my despair I was out
    > of luck. Does anybody have a hint for me? I really would like
    > to discuss issues concerning asynchronous/concurrent
    > programming with some people who know about it and its
    > difficulties and challenges.
    >
    > Thank you, Oliver

    There is an easy method. However, it won't get you a good reputation.

    Here it is: Simply post your question to comp.lang.c++. Make sure that
    it does not contain the slightest bit of C++ code. I'll set my watch and
    warrant on it that after five minutes someone will tell you that you are
    off-topic in this newsgroup.

    With a little bit of luck he will provide a link to a more appropriate
    newsgroup.

    Regards,
    Stuart

    PS: Don't tell them that I have given you this idea ;-)
    Stuart, Oct 19, 2012
  4. Eric Sosman Guest

    On 10/19/2012 2:49 AM, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of newgroup, discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous programming or concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of luck. Does anybody have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss issues concerning asynchronous/concurrent programming with some people who know about it and its difficulties and challenges.

    Have you tried comp.programming.threads?

    --
    Eric Sosman
    Eric Sosman, Oct 19, 2012
  5. Jan Burse Guest

    schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of newgroup,
    > discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous programming or
    > concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of luck. Does anybody
    > have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss issues concerning
    > asynchronous/concurrent programming with some people who know about
    > it and its difficulties and challenges.
    >
    > Thank you, Oliver

    Not a perfect match, but related:

    Try:
    comp.lang.erlang.general
    (The language based on actors)

    Or:
    comp.lang.scala.user
    (Scala has a certain interest in actors)
    Jan Burse, Oct 19, 2012

    Thanks for the answers :). comp.programming.threads is a good idea. I didn't know it exists. Problem is that Google Groups no longer shows a list of existing newsgroups as earlier. Always Google's fault ... I'll try comp.lang.erlang.general as well. I had earlier some contact to Scala people. So I will see whether comp.lang.scala.user will be useful. I'm a bit skeptical, because they seem to be a bit academic and too much in love with their language neglegting real-world issues a bit.

    But thanks anyway for all the useful hints!
    Cheers, Oliver
    , Oct 19, 2012
  7. Arne Vajhoej Guest

    On 10/19/2012 2:49 AM, wrote:
    > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of
    > newgroup, discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous
    > programming or concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of
    > luck. Does anybody have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss
    > issues concerning asynchronous/concurrent programming with some
    > people who know about it and its difficulties and challenges.

    Unless you are interested in the very high level approach (let
    us call it algorithms or patterns), then you should ask in a group
    for the specific language and framework you are using.

    Many of the details you need to get right are simply different
    in different languages/frameworks.

    Java, C++ with POSIX threads and Scala code will be rather different
    code.

    Even within Java there will be a big difference between Java SE
    standalone apps and Java EE apps running inside a Java EE container.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhoej, Oct 21, 2012
  8. Arne Vajhoej Guest

    On 10/19/2012 5:10 AM, Stuart wrote:
    > On 10/19/12 wrote:
    >> I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of
    > > newgroup, discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous
    > > programming or concurrent programming. To my despair I was out
    > > of luck. Does anybody have a hint for me? I really would like
    > > to discuss issues concerning asynchronous/concurrent
    > > programming with some people who know about it and its
    > > difficulties and challenges.
    >>
    >> Thank you, Oliver

    > There is an easy method. However, it won't get you a good reputation.
    >
    > Here it is: Simply post your question to comp.lang.c++. Make sure that
    > it does not contain the slightest bit of C++ code. I'll set my watch and
    > warrant on it that after five minutes someone will tell you that you are
    > off-topic in this newsgroup.
    >
    > With a little bit of luck he will provide a link to a more appropriate
    > newsgroup.

    Good one.

    Arne

    PS: Isn't comp.lang.c even more picky than comp.lang.c++?
    Arne Vajhoej, Oct 21, 2012
  9. Stuart Guest

    On 10/19/2012 5:10 AM, Stuart wrote:

    Huh? 5:10 AM? Can't be right, at that time I would have been sound
    asleep. Must be an error with the timezones.

    >> There is an easy method. However, it won't get you a good reputation.
    >>
    >> Here it is: Simply post your question to comp.lang.c++. Make sure that
    >> it does not contain the slightest bit of C++ code. I'll set my watch and
    >> warrant on it that after five minutes someone will tell you that you are
    >> off-topic in this newsgroup.
    >>
    >> With a little bit of luck he will provide a link to a more appropriate
    >> newsgroup.

    > Good one.
    >
    > Arne
    >
    > PS: Isn't comp.lang.c even more picky than comp.lang.c++?

    I don't know since I don't read comp.lang.c. However, recently I
    hijacked a thread in comp.lang.c++, 'C/C++ question about dynamic
    "static struct"', where I only wanted to ask someone why he prefers C
    over C++ (just wanted to know whether this was due to project
    restrictions or his own free choice).

    Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the whole thread was crossposted to
    both comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++, and before I could say "blueberry
    cake" I had started just another flame-war between the C and the C++ guys.

    That was the least of my intentions (next time I'm going to ask possibly
    inflammatory question by mail). To me it shows that comp.lang.c has
    about the same number of hotheads as comp.lang.c++ (strange enough, not
    the same people).

    So I guess you are right, the trick with the fake posting would probably
    have worked with comp.lang.c, too.

    Regards,
    Stuart
    Stuart, Oct 24, 2012
  10. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 10/24/2012 3:04 AM, Stuart wrote:
    > On 10/19/2012 5:10 AM, Stuart wrote:
    > Huh? 5:10 AM? Can't be right, at that time I would have been sound
    > asleep. Must be an error with the timezones.

    Many NNTP servers/news readers (most?) show receiver time not
    sender time.

    >>> There is an easy method. However, it won't get you a good reputation.
    >>>
    >>> Here it is: Simply post your question to comp.lang.c++. Make sure that
    >>> it does not contain the slightest bit of C++ code. I'll set my watch and
    >>> warrant on it that after five minutes someone will tell you that you are
    >>> off-topic in this newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> With a little bit of luck he will provide a link to a more appropriate
    >>> newsgroup.

    >> Good one.

    >> PS: Isn't comp.lang.c even more picky than comp.lang.c++?

    > I don't know since I don't read comp.lang.c. However, recently I
    > hijacked a thread in comp.lang.c++, 'C/C++ question about dynamic
    > "static struct"', where I only wanted to ask someone why he prefers C
    > over C++ (just wanted to know whether this was due to project
    > restrictions or his own free choice).
    >
    > Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the whole thread was crossposted to
    > both comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++, and before I could say "blueberry
    > cake" I had started just another flame-war between the C and the C++ guys.
    >
    > That was the least of my intentions (next time I'm going to ask possibly
    > inflammatory question by mail). To me it shows that comp.lang.c has
    > about the same number of hotheads as comp.lang.c++ (strange enough, not
    > the same people).
    >
    > So I guess you are right, the trick with the fake posting would probably
    > have worked with comp.lang.c, too.

    It is more than 15 years since I directly read those groups, but
    clc has always been known to be very picky.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 24, 2012
  11. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 10/19/2012 8:37 AM, Jan Burse wrote:
    > schrieb:
    > > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of newgroup,
    > > discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous programming or
    > > concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of luck. Does anybody
    > > have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss issues concerning
    > > asynchronous/concurrent programming with some people who know about
    > > it and its difficulties and challenges.

    > Not a perfect match, but related:
    >
    > Try:
    > comp.lang.erlang.general
    > (The language based on actors)
    >
    > Or:
    > comp.lang.scala.user
    > (Scala has a certain interest in actors)

    If actors is the async paradigm that OP is interested in ...

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 24, 2012

    Subject: (c.l.scala??) Re: Looking for newsgroup about asynchronous programming

    > schrieb:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I've been surfing the Internet a lot now to find any kind of newgroup,
    > > discussion group, or mailing list about asynchronous programming or
    > > concurrent programming. To my despair I was out of luck. Does anybody
    > > have a hint for me? I really would like to discuss issues concerning
    > > asynchronous/concurrent programming with some people who know about
    > > it and its difficulties and challenges.
    > >
    > > Thank you, Oliver
    > >

    > Not a perfect match, but related:
    >
    > Try:
    > comp.lang.erlang.general
    > (The language based on actors)
    >
    > Or:
    > comp.lang.scala.user
    > (Scala has a certain interest in actors)

    FWIW, the comp.lang.scala.* groups don't seem to be available via
    all news servers -- I'm only able to access them via news.gmane.org,
    as gmane.comp.lang.scala.*.

    --
    B. L. Massingill
    , Oct 26, 2012
  13. Tim Slattery Guest

    <> wrote:

    >FWIW, the comp.lang.scala.* groups don't seem to be available via
    >all news servers -- I'm only able to access them via news.gmane.org,
    >as gmane.comp.lang.scala.*.

    The gmane server makes email lists available via NNTP, so that's
    probably why you can't find comp.lang.scala on other servers.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    Tim Slattery, Oct 26, 2012