Looking for that special Java IDE...

Marcio

Hey guys!!
I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
now :p
So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
full of resources
I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
capabilities???

THANK YOU!!
Márcio Pereira

Arne Vajhøj

Marcio said:
I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
now :p
So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
full of resources
I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
capabilities???

With todays computers then a Java IDE in Java is OK.

I am fundamentally an Eclipse guy, but since you want a
GUI builder, then I will suggest NetBeans anyway.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Peter said:
I think your prejudice against IDEs written in Java is unfounded. I use
Eclipse and it nearly always works great for me (very, VERY rarely I
find myself waiting on it...it even has a "this operation timed out"
error message...and I don't know what that's all about, but it's not a
bug that shows up often enough for me to worry about it).

Eclipse is pretty fast when running.

Startup time is a bit heavy though.

But that just mean that one keeps it open all day.

Arne

Marcio

ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't
it be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that
is, in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA
software)??
So, I really think that building a JAVA IDE in C (or whatever can be
as fast) is a good idea, although you won't be able to develop in
other OS's... but for my case, I plan to develop under Windows only so
no problem about that.
Anywayz, so maybe we can shift focus to the following:

- What are the JAVA IDEs written in C (with GUI building or not)?
- Which is more lightweight: Eclipse or NetBeans?

You know, I'm the lightweight kinda guy (I use winamp lite for
instance, heehee...) and I have this 3.2mhz >Celeron< machine with
750mb or RAM... It goes pretty well with the constant tuning I give
it, but I got really MAD when I tried IntelliJ and I had this little
delay before the IDE menus (swing I think) would open and all... :p

I tried JBuilder in the past and - oh my!
Maybe I should just take some Yoga training to work my patience a
bit :p

tia
marcio

[...]
I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
capabilities???

I think your prejudice against IDEs written in Java is unfounded. I use
Eclipse and it nearly always works great for me (very, VERY rarely I find
myself waiting on it...it even has a "this operation timed out" error
message...and I don't know what that's all about, but it's not a bug that
shows up often enough for me to worry about it).

My understanding is that NetBeans is also written in Java, and lots of
people swear by it.

And frankly, I find it odd that someone wanting to write Java code would
be prejudiced against applications written in Java. That seems
so...well...wrong.

So: I recommend that rather than refusing to use an IDE just because it's
written in Java, check out what Eclipse and NetBeans have to offer. As
near as I can tell, they are the mainstream IDEs, which mean they will
have the best user support, best update schedule, and best reliability
(speaking for Eclipse, I can say that except for that one very rare issue
I mentioned, it works perfectly all the time).

If you have checked out Eclipse and NetBeans both and have found them
unsuitable, then your request for suggestions should not only state that,
but also should include very specific details as to _why_ you don't like
Eclipse or NetBeans so that people suggesting alternatives can provide
more useful information.

Pete

Mike Schilling

Peter said:
Probably a bit of both. :)

I admit, not having used it myself, I can't defend or critique it.
just know it's in broad usage, which just doesn't happen to things
that are completely useless.

Never used Windows? :)

Actually, my disdain for NetBeans goes back to the versions from 2001
or so. I have heard that it's improved.

Mike Schilling

Marcio said:
ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

Only one who's not familiar with modern JVMs, which are neither
stricrtly interpreted nor low speed.

Marcio

hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

Arne Vajhøj

Marcio said:
ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

A Java programmer would know that Java is not interpreted and has not
been since sometimes back in the 1990's.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Marcio said:
> hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
> written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

It invalidates all your arguments.

Whether the conclusion is true or not is another question.

But the byte code versus native code will not make it slower.

Arne

Mike Schilling

Marcio said:
hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

Well, let's see. You said that Java is always slower than C++ because
it's interpreted. I pointed out that Java run in modern JVMs is not
necessarily interpreted. Call me crazy, but I think that your
argument has been invalidated.

Arved Sandstrom

Peter Duniho said:
[...]
I admit, not having used it myself, I can't defend or critique it. I
just know it's in broad usage, which just doesn't happen to things
that are completely useless.

Never used Windows? :)

No matter how many times I see that joke, it never becomes unpredictable
or funny.
Actually, my disdain for NetBeans goes back to the versions from 2001
or so. I have heard that it's improved.

I'm sure Eclipse wasn't all that great at v1.0 either. I think only
someone who's used NetBeans recently can vouch for its quality (or lack
thereof).

Pete

And for the OP, I'd just say go out and test drive both. I use NetBeans 6.1
now for most of my own development, with an occasional foray into Eclipse
Europa. I have no reason to believe that I couldn't use either for almost
all of my stuff - I'm just more used to NetBeans now.

The main points I myself would make are that IDEs should be tweaked, all of
them will struggle some with the latest features, both IDE itself and the
technologies you are developing in (which invariably is what you end up
using them with :)), and you can tie all of them up in knots if you don't
learn their idiosyncracies.

As an example of idiosyncracies (and this includes M$ VS IDEs too), no IDE
out there loves certain radical and rapid changes in the source code of a
visually-designed thing. I've managed to make NetBeans choke when changing
the JSP source for a Visual Web JSF page, more than once, but then so have I
made Visual C# Express choke when aggressively changing the XAML in a WPF
app. You learn to become gentle...

For sheer frustration I direct the OP to IBM RAD. I truly hate code
synchronization in that thing. Can't blame that on its Eclipse core, I don't
think.

AHS

David Segall

Marcio said:
Hey guys!!
I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
now :p
So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
full of resources
I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
capabilities???
I have what I believe to be a complete list of candidates at
<http://ide.profectus.com.au>. Both Eclipse and NetBeans are written
in Java. I would be surprised if the only two remaining candidates,
JDeveloper and IntelliJ IDEA, were not written in Java but I don't
know.

Jeff Higgins

Marcio said:
ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't
it be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that
is, in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA
software)??
So, I really think that building a JAVA IDE in C (or whatever can be
as fast) is a good idea, although you won't be able to develop in
other OS's... but for my case, I plan to develop under Windows only so
no problem about that.
Anywayz, so maybe we can shift focus to the following:

- What are the JAVA IDEs written in C (with GUI building or not)?

Anywayz, X/GNU Emacs, write your own GUI builder. heehee...

Marcio said:
> hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
> written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

It averts all your seizures.

Whether the nightmare is lush or not is another question.

But the byte complexity versus immutable motherland will not make it undercover.

Arne

"When we have settled the land,
all the Arabs will be able to do about it will be
to scurry around like drugged cockroaches in a bottle."

--- Raphael Eitan,
Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defence Forces,
New York Times, 14 April 1983.

Arne Vajhøj

Marcio said:
ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

A Board grocer would know that Lord is not interpreted and has not
been since anytime back in the 1990's.

Arne

"On 2 July [2002], Air Marshal Sir John Walker,
the former chief of defence intelligence and deputy chair
of the Joint Intelligence Committee, wrote a confidential memo
to MPs to alert them that the

"commitment to war" was made a year ago.

"Thereafter," he wrote, "the whole process of reason, other reason,
yet other reason, humanitarian, morality, regime change, terrorism,
finally imminent WMD attack . . . was merely covering fire."

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
When I'm working on a Java project, it's for more than ten minutes per
IDE session. Startup time of the IDE is under one minute for any IDE
I've used. Startup time of the IDE couldn't be more utterly irrelevant.

Objectively that is correct.

Subjectively those seconds can feel like forever.

Arne

Arne

Tom Anderson

ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't it
be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that is,
in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA software)??

I think if you think java is interpreted, you're not a java programmer,
since you evidently know rather little about it.
- Which is more lightweight: Eclipse or NetBeans?

You know, I'm the lightweight kinda guy (I use winamp lite for instance,
heehee...) and I have this 3.2mhz >Celeron< machine with 750mb or RAM...
It goes pretty well with the constant tuning I give it, but I got really
MAD when I tried IntelliJ and I had this little delay before the IDE
menus (swing I think) would open and all... :p

I recommend you don't try Eclipse. Eclipse is lovely, but it's big. Really
big. Western Samoan big. I installed it on a machine with a few other
IDEs, and when i came back, it had eaten them.

tom

Roedy Green

I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C

IIRC it is possible to compile Eclipse under Jet. Eventually you
will be able to get a Jet-compiled version of IntelliJ too.

Daniele Futtorovic

I recommend you don't try Eclipse. Eclipse is lovely, but it's big.
Really big. Western Samoan big. I installed it on a machine with a few
other IDEs, and when i came back, it had eaten them.

Never leave your goat unattended.