    capabilities???

    THANK YOU!!
    Márcio Pereira
    Marcio, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Marcio

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Marcio wrote:
    > I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
    > now :p
    > So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
    > full of resources
    > I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
    > stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
    > no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
    > SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
    > That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
    > capabilities???

    With todays computers then a Java IDE in Java is OK.

    I am fundamentally an Eclipse guy, but since you want a
    GUI builder, then I will suggest NetBeans anyway.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008

  3. Peter Duniho wrote:
    > My understanding is that NetBeans is also written in Java, and lots
    > of
    > people swear by it.

    s/by/at/
    Mike Schilling, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Peter Duniho wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:00:53 -0700, Marcio <>
    > wrote:
    >> I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
    >> stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
    >> no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
    >> SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
    >> That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
    >> capabilities???

    > I think your prejudice against IDEs written in Java is unfounded. I use
    > Eclipse and it nearly always works great for me (very, VERY rarely I
    > find myself waiting on it...it even has a "this operation timed out"
    > error message...and I don't know what that's all about, but it's not a
    > bug that shows up often enough for me to worry about it).

    Eclipse is pretty fast when running.

    Startup time is a bit heavy though.

    But that just mean that one keeps it open all day.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  5. Marcio

    Marcio Guest

    ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't
    it be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that
    is, in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA
    software)??
    So, I really think that building a JAVA IDE in C (or whatever can be
    as fast) is a good idea, although you won't be able to develop in
    other OS's... but for my case, I plan to develop under Windows only so
    no problem about that.
    Anywayz, so maybe we can shift focus to the following:

    - What are the JAVA IDEs written in C (with GUI building or not)?
    - Which is more lightweight: Eclipse or NetBeans?

    You know, I'm the lightweight kinda guy (I use winamp lite for
    instance, heehee...) and I have this 3.2mhz >Celeron< machine with
    750mb or RAM... It goes pretty well with the constant tuning I give
    it, but I got really MAD when I tried IntelliJ and I had this little
    delay before the IDE menus (swing I think) would open and all... :p

    I tried JBuilder in the past and - oh my!
    Maybe I should just take some Yoga training to work my patience a
    bit :p

    tia
    marcio

    Marcio, Aug 31, 2008
  6. Peter Duniho wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:30:07 -0700, Mike Schilling
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Duniho wrote:
    >>> My understanding is that NetBeans is also written in Java, and
    >>> lots
    >>> of people swear by it.

    >> s/by/at/

    > Probably a bit of both. :)
    >
    > I admit, not having used it myself, I can't defend or critique it.
    > just know it's in broad usage, which just doesn't happen to things
    > that are completely useless.

    Never used Windows? :)

    Actually, my disdain for NetBeans goes back to the versions from 2001
    or so. I have heard that it's improved.
    Mike Schilling, Aug 31, 2008
  7. Marcio wrote:
    > ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    > avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    > reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    > drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

    Only one who's not familiar with modern JVMs, which are neither
    stricrtly interpreted nor low speed.
    Mike Schilling, Aug 31, 2008
  8. Marcio

    Marcio Guest

    hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
    written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

    Marcio, Aug 31, 2008
  9. Marcio

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Marcio wrote:
    > ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    > avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    > reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    > drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

    A Java programmer would know that Java is not interpreted and has not
    been since sometimes back in the 1990's.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  10. Marcio

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Marcio wrote:
    > On 30 ago, 23:11, "Mike Schilling" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Marcio wrote:
    >>> ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    >>> avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    >>> reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    >>> drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

    >> Only one who's not familiar with modern JVMs, which are neither
    >> stricrtly interpreted nor low speed.

    > hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
    > written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

    It invalidates all your arguments.

    Whether the conclusion is true or not is another question.

    But the byte code versus native code will not make it slower.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  11. Marcio wrote:
    > hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
    > written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

    Well, let's see. You said that Java is always slower than C++ because
    it's interpreted. I pointed out that Java run in modern JVMs is not
    necessarily interpreted. Call me crazy, but I think that your
    argument has been invalidated.
    Mike Schilling, Aug 31, 2008
  12. "Peter Duniho" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:10:17 -0700, Mike Schilling
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >>> I admit, not having used it myself, I can't defend or critique it. I
    >>> just know it's in broad usage, which just doesn't happen to things
    >>> that are completely useless.

    >> Never used Windows? :)

    > No matter how many times I see that joke, it never becomes unpredictable
    > or funny.
    >
    >> Actually, my disdain for NetBeans goes back to the versions from 2001
    >> or so. I have heard that it's improved.

    > I'm sure Eclipse wasn't all that great at v1.0 either. I think only
    > someone who's used NetBeans recently can vouch for its quality (or lack
    > thereof).
    >
    > Pete

    And for the OP, I'd just say go out and test drive both. I use NetBeans 6.1
    now for most of my own development, with an occasional foray into Eclipse
    Europa. I have no reason to believe that I couldn't use either for almost
    all of my stuff - I'm just more used to NetBeans now.

    The main points I myself would make are that IDEs should be tweaked, all of
    them will struggle some with the latest features, both IDE itself and the
    technologies you are developing in (which invariably is what you end up
    using them with :)), and you can tie all of them up in knots if you don't
    learn their idiosyncracies.

    As an example of idiosyncracies (and this includes M$ VS IDEs too), no IDE
    out there loves certain radical and rapid changes in the source code of a
    visually-designed thing. I've managed to make NetBeans choke when changing
    the JSP source for a Visual Web JSF page, more than once, but then so have I
    made Visual C# Express choke when aggressively changing the XAML in a WPF
    app. You learn to become gentle...

    For sheer frustration I direct the OP to IBM RAD. I truly hate code
    synchronization in that thing. Can't blame that on its Eclipse core, I don't
    think.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Aug 31, 2008
  13. Marcio

    David Segall Guest

    Marcio <> wrote:

    >Hey guys!!
    >I was once a good Java programmer but... well, it's been like 10 years
    >now :p
    >So now I am looking for a good IDE which could be fast, tutorial and
    >full of resources
    >I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C (I can't
    >stand IDE's written in Java...). But I just noticed that JCreator has
    >no WYSIWYG capabilities for Frames and stuff
    >SO I ask you guys: which IDE am I looking for??
    >That is: one who is fast (preferably written in C) and has WYSIWYG
    >capabilities???

    I have what I believe to be a complete list of candidates at
    <http://ide.profectus.com.au>. Both Eclipse and NetBeans are written
    in Java. I would be surprised if the only two remaining candidates,
    JDeveloper and IntelliJ IDEA, were not written in Java but I don't
    know.
    David Segall, Aug 31, 2008
  14. Marcio

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Marcio wrote:
    > ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    > avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    > reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    > drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't
    > it be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that
    > is, in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA
    > software)??
    > So, I really think that building a JAVA IDE in C (or whatever can be
    > as fast) is a good idea, although you won't be able to develop in
    > other OS's... but for my case, I plan to develop under Windows only so
    > no problem about that.
    > Anywayz, so maybe we can shift focus to the following:
    >
    > - What are the JAVA IDEs written in C (with GUI building or not)?

    Anywayz, X/GNU Emacs, write your own GUI builder. heehee...

    Jeff Higgins, Aug 31, 2008
  15. Marcio

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Marcio wrote:
    > On 30 ago, 23:11, "Mike Schilling" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Marcio wrote:
    >>> ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    >>> avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    >>> reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    >>> drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

    >> Only one who's not familiar with modern JVMs, which are neither
    >> stricrtly interpreted nor low speed.

    > hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
    > written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

    It averts all your seizures.

    Whether the nightmare is lush or not is another question.

    But the byte complexity versus immutable motherland will not make it undercover.

    Arne

    "When we have settled the land,
    all the Arabs will be able to do about it will be
    to scurry around like drugged cockroaches in a bottle."

    --- Raphael Eitan,
    Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defence Forces,
    New York Times, 14 April 1983.
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  16. Marcio

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Marcio wrote:
    > ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    > avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    > reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    > drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed,

    A Board grocer would know that Lord is not interpreted and has not
    been since anytime back in the 1990's.

    Arne

    "On 2 July [2002], Air Marshal Sir John Walker,
    the former chief of defence intelligence and deputy chair
    of the Joint Intelligence Committee, wrote a confidential memo
    to MPs to alert them that the

    "commitment to war" was made a year ago.

    "Thereafter," he wrote, "the whole process of reason, other reason,
    yet other reason, humanitarian, morality, regime change, terrorism,
    finally imminent WMD attack . . . was merely covering fire."
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  17. Lew wrote:
    > Christian wrote:
    >> Marcio schrieb:
    >>> hm well but that does not invalidate my argument, that is, an IDE
    >>> written in JAVA is still slower than another written in C++

    >> Yes espeicaially on startup..
    >>
    >> Java has the disadvantage that loading (+ reading + decompressing...)
    >> the classfiles eclipse has tons of these takes time.
    >> some massive block of c++ code should there perform much better.

    > When I'm working on a Java project, it's for more than ten minutes per
    > IDE session. Startup time of the IDE is under one minute for any IDE
    > I've used. Startup time of the IDE couldn't be more utterly irrelevant.

    Objectively that is correct.

    Subjectively those seconds can feel like forever.

    Arne

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 31, 2008
  18. Marcio

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Marcio wrote:

    > ok guys, I know it would sound weird that a Java programmer wants to
    > avoid a Java IDE, but if you think about it that is just the perfect
    > reason to avoid it heehee... that is, a programmer knows that the
    > drawback of an interpreted language is its low speed, and so wouldn't it
    > be natural that he would want to avoid doubling this drawback (that is,
    > in the IDE execution PLUS the drawbacks in debugging a JAVA software)??

    I think if you think java is interpreted, you're not a java programmer,
    since you evidently know rather little about it.

    > - Which is more lightweight: Eclipse or NetBeans?
    >
    > You know, I'm the lightweight kinda guy (I use winamp lite for instance,
    > heehee...) and I have this 3.2mhz >Celeron< machine with 750mb or RAM...
    > It goes pretty well with the constant tuning I give it, but I got really
    > MAD when I tried IntelliJ and I had this little delay before the IDE
    > menus (swing I think) would open and all... :p

    I recommend you don't try Eclipse. Eclipse is lovely, but it's big. Really
    big. Western Samoan big. I installed it on a machine with a few other
    IDEs, and when i came back, it had eaten them.

    tom

    --
    IMPORTANCE MEMO: >>> WHEN YOU BUY AN N-GAGE QD <<< PLEASE, please CONTINUE
    TO TALK ON THE SIDE!!$ Note: the other party will not be able to hear you,
    Tom Anderson, Sep 1, 2008
  19. Marcio

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:00:53 -0700 (PDT), Marcio
    who said :

    >I am currently trying JCreator because it is written in C

    IIRC it is possible to compile Eclipse under Jet. Eventually you
    will be able to get a Jet-compiled version of IntelliJ too.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Sep 1, 2008
  20. On 01/09/2008 01:31, Tom Anderson allegedly wrote:
    > I recommend you don't try Eclipse. Eclipse is lovely, but it's big.
    > Really big. Western Samoan big. I installed it on a machine with a few
    > other IDEs, and when i came back, it had eaten them.

    Never leave your goat unattended.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Sep 1, 2008