Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows

Omar

thanks for all the responses...

I'm liking the way ulipad and scite work

I'd switch to ulipad entirely if I canget to recognize the python
interpreter in the preferences menu. I can't seem to figure that out.

Also, I'm highly interested in getting the snippets manager working.

any ideas?

Claudio Grondi

Omar said:
thanks for all the responses...

I'm liking the way ulipad and scite work

I'd switch to ulipad entirely if I canget to recognize the python
interpreter in the preferences menu. I can't seem to figure that out.
It is usually correctly set.
Just start Preferences, go to Python tab and push the button [Setup
Python interpreter]. You should see the default interpreter setting and
modify it if necessary (button [modify]).
What is the problem with it exactly?
Also, I'm highly interested in getting the snippets manager working. What is your problem with it?

any ideas?
I suggest you play a bit around with the menu items dedicated to
Snippets. Don't forget to click on the visible entries to get the other
content related to them visible (maybe this is your problem - you expect
to see more, but have to select first - not very intuitive in case you
have generated only one entry and wonder why its details are not visible
in the other text boxes). If there are no any entries just [Add] some.
And to see how to work with them go to menu 'Windows' and 'Open Snippets
Window') to get the available ones displayed (I have got them working
knowing nothing about them before while I was writing my first response
here, so it can't be that hard ;)If the above does not help, best email directly the author of UliPad
(and greet him from me :) and describe your problem in a very easy to
understand and as simple English as possible.
Usually you will get a very fast and a very informative response (but
please don't care much about correct English). Also bug reports (or best
directly the patches) are very welcome. Best if you were able to provide
your own notes from what you have learned as a kind of contribution to a
better future documentation.
If nothing suddenly changed, I can assure you, that you can't get
anywhere else better support directly from the author as it is currently
available for UliPad. And as it is all Python, so you are free to learn
from it or try out your own ideas for extensions.

Claudio Grondi

stu

Wildemar said:
Finally! I usually try to stay out of these discussions; yet I'm always
disappointed at how few people seem to be using jEdit and how long it
takes them to come out of their holes.

well when people start reccomending things like textpad which is crap.
textpad requires payment, and if someone is gonna pay for it
they might as well buy ultraedit instead..

but they need to atleast checkout jedit first :)

with its plugins for jython + jpydebug...

-stu

David J. Braden

stu said:
well when people start reccomending things like textpad which is crap.
textpad requires payment, and if someone is gonna pay for it
they might as well buy ultraedit instead..

but they need to atleast checkout jedit first :)

with its plugins for jython + jpydebug...

-stu

Hi Stu und "Willie",

I'm a total newbie to Python, and what(for me) are appropriate tools. I
will be running it under (sigh) Windows. I'm using IDLE for the time
being, aided by Notepad++. I don't yet know what jython is about, or
for, but I'm up for trying jedit for python. Which plugins give me a
good start for scientific stuff? I am not interested in Web/html apps.
And is there an IDE out there that lets us create GUI dialogs along the
lines of what MS provides with Excel and, I assume, VB?

Thanks.
DaveB

Jay

I, too, am a hardcore fan of jEdit. It's nice to finally see some user
support on this forum. :)

Wildemar Wildenburger

Hi Stu und "Willie","Willie"?
Thats new. ;)
I will be running it under (sigh) Windows.
So? Apart from Microsoft being evil and spying on you all the time, I
find much satisfaction in the fact that Windows Just Works(tm). Linux on
the other hand Just Barely Works(tm). Hello flamewar :).

I don't yet know what jython is about, or for, but I'm up for trying
> jedit for python.
jython is an implementation of python in java (hence the name ;)). That
means it's a python interpreter inside a java virtual machine (groan).
It basically lets you write java apps in python syntax. It's currently
at python 2.1 I believe.
jEdit is extensible though java, and with the jython plugin also through
python.

Which plugins give me a good start for scientific stuff?
Er ... I don't know. What do you mean by 'scientific stuff'?
You might want to look at python packages such as scipy (?) or numpy
(for numerical calculations) or whatever those are called. I think you
can hook up python to Matlab, Scilab or Mathematica, but don't take my
word for it. I don't use any of this, so I cannot really tell you more.
None of this is jEdit specific though. Can you clarify?
I am not interested in Web/html apps.
Too bad, that's the future ;).
And is there an IDE out there that lets us create GUI dialogs along the
lines of what MS provides with Excel and, I assume, VB?
Stani's Python Editor (SPE) and Boa Constructor, I think. I've tried SPE
a few years back and liked it a lot.
If you only ever write python code you might want to forget about jEdit
and use one of the two above. jEdit is dubbed 'Programmer's Text
Editor', and as such provides a 'unified' framework for many languages
(so you don't have to learn a new editor for every damn language you
write in once in a blue moon). It is for that reason a /tad/ less
specialized (though highly configurable). If you still want to use
jEdit, there is wxGlade for wxPython out there and Glade (not wxGlade!)
works for pyGTK, I believe.
Hope that helps you deciding.

"Willie" ;)

gnewsg

What about IDLE? I really apreciate it but a big broblem is that it
doesn't support tabs: for every source you edit you have to open a new
IDLE window. :-\

Steve Holden

Wildemar said:
Hi Stu und "Willie",
[...]
Which plugins give me a good start for scientific stuff?

Er ... I don't know. What do you mean by 'scientific stuff'?

You know, stitching body parts together from different corpses and
trying to animate them with lightning, inventing potions that completely
cjange the personailty, that kind of thing. People have been doing it
for hundreds of years ...

regards
Steve

Ant

Jay said:
I, too, am a hardcore fan of jEdit. It's nice to finally see some user
support on this forum. :)

I quite often throw in jEdits name in these discussions. It's the most
powerful and extensible editor I know of outside of the emacs/vi world
(and far more accessible than those).

Franz Steinhaeusler

I'd love the perfect editor that would be:

a) free

DrPython and spe; both written in Python and wxPython using SciTe's
control scintilla) and SciTE.

DrPython on:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/drpython/ (Projectpage)
http://drpython.sourceforge.net/ (Homepage)
b) enable me to drag and drop code snippets from a sort of browser into
the code

DrPython Codemarks plugin.
c) can run programs right from within

DrPython => Program => Run (default F5)
d) can edit
- PYTHON
DrPython, spe, SciTE.
- Javascript
no definite support.
DrPython (the others, I don't know)
- actionscript (since I'm also learning flash)

Sepy on Sourceforge (also written in Python with wxPython)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sepy/
e) easy to learn

SciTE especially.

limodou

DrPython and spe; both written in Python and wxPython using SciTe's
control scintilla) and SciTE.

DrPython on:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/drpython/ (Projectpage)
http://drpython.sourceforge.net/ (Homepage)

DrPython Codemarks plugin.

DrPython => Program => Run (default F5)

DrPython, spe, SciTE.

no definite support.

DrPython (the others, I don't know)

Sepy on Sourceforge (also written in Python with wxPython)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sepy/

SciTE especially.
These things UliPad also can do. And it also support html, javascript,
css, java, etc syntax highlight. UliPad also support Input Assistant,
even include custom calltips and auto-complete, and many features, you
can find in http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad

It also has a directory browser, wizard, plugins-system, code snippets
manage. Just using it, you'll find out what it's.

Franz Steinhaeusler

These things UliPad also can do. And it also support html, javascript,
css, java, etc syntax highlight. UliPad also support Input Assistant,
even include custom calltips and auto-complete, and many features, you
can find in http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad

It also has a directory browser, wizard, plugins-system, code snippets
manage. Just using it, you'll find out what it's.

Of course, I took only randomly three programs for easier comparing.

Dick Moores

I, too, am a hardcore fan of jEdit. It's nice to finally see some user
support on this forum. :)

I'm trying out jEdit and UliPad. I got UliPad going right away and
I'm very pleased with it, but could I jump in here with a basic jEdit
question? How do you run a script?

And one more. On the menus, the font is clear and large, but the
equivalent key combinations are written so small they are very
difficult for me to read. Is there a way to configure them to be
slightly larger? (I'd ask on the jEdit support forum, but it doesn't
seem to be very active.)

Thanks,

Dick Moores

stu

Dick said:
I'm trying out jEdit and UliPad. I got UliPad going right away and
I'm very pleased with it, but could I jump in here with a basic jEdit
question? How do you run a script?

And one more. On the menus, the font is clear and large, but the
equivalent key combinations are written so small they are very
difficult for me to read. Is there a way to configure them to be
slightly larger? (I'd ask on the jEdit support forum, but it doesn't
seem to be very active.)

to change jedits fonts, under utilities menu choose global options

select appearance, this has font options for menus + other fields
text area has the editing text font (I use dialogeinput for menus and
such and
andale mono for the text area...)

to run a script.. you can 'dock' jython in the sides of the editor or
bottom, and import from the buffer or load it.. or fire jython up from
the plugin menu

there is also a colour scheme plugin that gives you colour defaults if
you want it to look lke emacs or jbuilder or idea etc etc etc

jedit is pretty rich with its plugins.

-stu

Dick Moores

to change jedits fonts, under utilities menu choose global options

select appearance, this has font options for menus + other fields
text area has the editing text font (I use dialogeinput for menus and
such and
andale mono for the text area...)

I afraid I still don't see how to use larger fonts for the problem I
mentioned. I mean the tiny fonts used, for example, to the right of
File | New, where it says, I'm guessing, "C+n".
to run a script.. you can 'dock' jython in the sides of the editor or
bottom, and import from the buffer or load it.. or fire jython up from
the plugin menu

Doesn't sound easy. With UliPad (or IDLE, for that matter) just hit F5.

Dick said:
Doesn't sound easy. With UliPad (or IDLE, for that matter) just hit F5.

Which you can do with jEdit just as well. It takes just a bit of reading
first. jEdit is by no means a lightweight editor, and its power comes at
the price of some getting involved on the user's part. Same dilemma with
vi/emacs, but just not as tough, as I found.