Loss of event handling

Lloyd Sheen

In an attempt to reformat the web page I moved controls into a frame and
then when that did no good I replaced then on the aspx in the same order as
before. When I did the CTL-X the handlers lost their handling capabilities.
I have replace the handling clauses but nothing happens (not totally
correct - some dropdowns are populated) and there is no way to debug.
Putting breakpoints where the dropdowns are populated result in nothing
happening.

This is my first asp.net project and things are not going well. As a rapid
development system there are a few holes.

Please if you have any ideas??

Lloyd Sheen

Also the web page has gone from loading in under a second to loading in
about 30 seconds.
I have stop/startted IIS and rebuilt the web page.

HELP????

Steve Letford

In Answer to your handler question:
If you have a textbox and the handler is textbox_click (etc) handles
textbox.click

When you cut the text box the procedure stays there but the 'hanles
textbox.click' but disappears.

Just go back to your procedures and add the handles clause back in there.
Not sure if this is what you meant when you said you had put the handlers
back in.

As for the debug question. Presumable you are building the project in debug
mode.

The loading question could be anything you'll need to give me some more
info. Is it a particular procedure that is taking the time?

Hope this helps.

Steve

Lloyd Sheen

I have restored all handlers manually. The time is being taken in asp code
not code that I can profile in any way.

To do an experiment I have created a new Web project. I copied all controls
from the old to the new and copied the code. When I run the new project
things load quickly. Trying the old one it still takes up to one minute to
load the page that the new one takes one second.

It would seem to me any attempt to change either the layout type of the page
or to change in any way the order of controls, results in a page which is
taking alot of time to render.

Steve Letford

Can you put a breakpoint on the pageload to find out how many times it is

Also have you managed to debug yet.

Steve

Lloyd Sheen

With the new project I can debug. The new page loads immediately. The old
project (all the same code and controls) takes mins to load and a breakpoint
on the page load shows it happens only once. I noticed in the code (behind
page) that there are variables for controls which had been deleted.
Deleting those references make no difference since the page still takes
forever to load.

I most certainly hope that every time a change is made to the page that this
problem does not occur again. I still have no idea why the original has
such a problem.