    Comodo Research Lab

    Click on www.comodogroup.com/secure-email to keep your emails
    confidential with a complementary FREE personal Secure Email Certificate
    Brendan Lynskey, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Brendan Lynskey

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Low, low cost is to use an FPGA tool and pay
    someone to do the translation. Some ASIC vendors
    like AMI (and Phillips?) will do translation from
    FPGA to ASIC as part of NRE costs of an ASIC.
    This may not add as much to the ASIC NRE as you
    would think.

    Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim Lewis
    Director of Training mailto:
    1-503-590-4787

    Jim Lewis, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Brendan Lynskey

    Jerry Guest

    "Brendan Lynskey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > Could someone give me a list of companies that sell or lease ASIC
    > synthesis/test-insertion/layout tools, please?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Brendan Lynskey
    > Comodo Research Lab
    > Click on www.comodogroup.com/secure-email to keep your emails
    > confidential with a complementary FREE personal Secure Email Certificate

    Well, another way at looking at this is if they can afford the mask cost
    ( around half million at .13 micron )
    they can afford the 100 grand in synthesis/test-insertion tools. I have no
    idea how much a layout tool cost.
    How much do you factor in for the learning time for a layout tool?
    You might want to think about just synthesis and then toss the netlist over
    the fence to the vendor. The vendor
    then can insert scan and do the layout.

    OH, there is a book about COTs and ASICs. You might want to look at that. I
    have it at work. I'll post it Monday.

    Good luck.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Sep 27, 2003