low level coding in java

Ishwor Gurung

hi all,

Regarding coding for low level stuff, is Java good enough? thanks.
with the C and C++ already there, is java missing something in there ?
i read the serial comm api for java called javacomm which as posted has
bleak support for low level serial communication. I am just investigating
how far other people have gone.

thanks a lot!

Ishwor Gurung

Ishwor said:
hi all,

Regarding coding for low level stuff, is Java good enough? thanks.
with the C and C++ already there, is java missing something in there ?
i read the serial comm api for java called javacomm which as posted has
bleak support for low level serial communication. I am just investigating
how far other people have gone.

thanks a lot!

It seems to me rather that developing all the low-level stuffs (file systems
abstractions, drivers, serial comm etc..) are somewhat limited in Java.
Everyone seems to say that Java is geared more for enterprise and such but
I like Java but still those above can't be done! any ideas fellow
usenetters ?

Roedy Green

Regarding coding for low level stuff, is Java good enough? thanks.
with the C and C++ already there, is java missing something in there ?
i read the serial comm api for java called javacomm which as posted has
bleak support for low level serial communication. I am just investigating
how far other people have gone.

Basically anything platform or hardware specific you need to write the
code it C/C++ and glue it in with JNI. You can write several versions
of it, and have Java Web Start plug in the correct one for any given
platform.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html

Daniel Pitts

hi all,

Regarding coding for low level stuff, is Java good enough? thanks.
with the C and C++ already there, is java missing something in there ?
i read the serial comm api for java called javacomm which as posted has
bleak support for low level serial communication. I am just investigating
how far other people have gone.

thanks a lot!

Java is not design to support "low level" programming. It is designed
to allow abstracted interaction with the parent platform. While it
might be possible to write drivers in pure Java, its unlikely to see
whole Operation Systems written in Java, simply because Java itself
"requires" an OS to run on.

Although, I could see a specialty JVM implementation that doesn't
require a parent OS, I'm not aware of any of the top of my head.

Mark Thornton

Daniel said:
Java is not design to support "low level" programming. It is designed
to allow abstracted interaction with the parent platform. While it
might be possible to write drivers in pure Java, its unlikely to see
whole Operation Systems written in Java, simply because Java itself
"requires" an OS to run on.

See http://www.jnode.org

Mark Thornton

lyallex

Ishwor said:
hi all,

Regarding coding for low level stuff, is Java good enough? thanks.
with the C and C++ already there, is java missing something in there ?
i read the serial comm api for java called javacomm which as posted has
bleak support for low level serial communication. I am just investigating
how far other people have gone.

thanks a lot!
Actually, I think Java is rather good at certain 'low level' tasks.
It's threading model is easy to learn and it has support for byte
arrays, What more do you need?

Your state machine lives in one Thread and you listen to the comm port
on another. Nice !

Rgds
Duncan

anders

I worked before with develop a machine, running lolevel stuff with C+
+,
Handling rest i java.
We have java and c++ talking by socket and sharing a postGreSQL
database.

Eg the c++ colect data from eg. a serialport send this thrue a socket
the javaprogram.
Don't know if this is the best but... it worked fine.

Anders