mail form

baldo

Can i find a template of a mail form working in php?
html form and php-script on the webserver?

Christoph Michael Becker

Am 20.06.2013 21:32, schrieb Beauregard T. Shagnasty:
If you want to see how a form is done, peruse this one:

<http://safalra.com/programming/php/contact-feedback-form/ >

| Copy the code above and paste it into your contact/feedback form page.

I'd say: don't do that, as the code uses stripslashes() (without any
check, if magic_quotes_gpc is On, which was removed as of PHP 5.4) and
eregi() (which is deprecated since PHP 5.3)--so it seems to be pretty
old code.

Furthermore the script doesn't set a Content-Type header, so the mail is
not unlikely to be unreadable if the body contains non ASCII characters,
let alone that the script ignores issues with non ASCII characters at all.

| $crack=eregi("(\r|\n)(to:|from:|cc:|bcc:)",$body);

Shall this prevent email header injection? I'll be blowed!

Christoph Michael Becker

Am 20.06.2013 22:41, schrieb Beauregard T. Shagnasty:
You could take that up with the author.

I have done so yet via the contact for on the page. I don't know if
this script is used for this contact form, but I have noticed that it
does not display any line breaks entered in the message in the online
confirmation (the script would not do so as well). Interestingly, the
confirmation email breaks the lines apart with an additional empty line
in my Thunderbird (quite so as with many replies from Google groups); I
am not sure what causes this, but it might be the overlong lines without
any Content-Type header stating format=flowed.

Lewis

In message said:
Can i find a template of a mail form working in php?
html form and php-script on the webserver?

Why?

<mailto:[email protected]> works really well. Web forms are horrible.

--
'There's a limit to the power of a spring, no matter how tightly one
winds it.' 'Oh, yes. Yes. And you hope that if you wind a spring one

Denis McMahon

Why?

<mailto:[email protected]> works really well. Web forms are horrible.

+1, upvote, like etc etc etc

Why anyone would want to piss about with form to email with all the
attendant security risks when they can just add a mailto link escapes me.
And yes I do know about spam address harvesting, most of which these days
is done by hacking servers or malware reading address books.

Christoph Michael Becker

Beauregard said:
What do the two of you expect visitors to do who do not have email clients
installed on their computers? Those using a friend's computer; those
accessing from an internet cafe; or those who have no ISP address at all
and rely on online mail services such as Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail? Your "mailto"
link is useless to all of them.

ACK.

se

baldo said:
is there something less commercial and more straightforward?

How the hell can you talk of commercial when being on Huggins site.
His offer is all free, except if you have problems with it and ask for his
help.
But a huge helpfile is included in the download.
If you read carefully, then you will find two examples, which you can use as
templates.:
http://clearlaketutoring.com/contact-form.htm
The example he use is a template of Pat Geary who uses his php-script.
http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/sample-contact.html
Her templates is free - look in there by yourself. Using the templates.
You dont have to do other than filling in names of your own.

/se

Using the the simple basis script-methodes as is done in this template,
are relatively easy to arrange. The script is much more advanced.

Lewis

In message said:
Denis McMahon wrote:
What do the two of you expect visitors to do who do not have email clients
installed on their computers?

Use gmail or use chrome?
Those using a friend's computer;

Use gmail or use chrome?
those accessing from an internet cafe;

Use gmail or use chrome?
or those who have no ISP address at all and rely on online mail
services such as Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail? Your "mailto" link is useless to
all of them.

Mailto works great with gmail with a tiny download or works right 'out
of the box" with Chrome.

..or scanning web pages. You must obfuscate!

No, obfuscating your email address is a complete and utter waste of time.

For the record, I never use web forms to contact someone unless I have
absolutely no choice (like HD warranty RMAs). If I click "Contact us"
and see a web form and no email alternate, I close the window.

dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Lewis wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Your loss, I suppose.

It is quite often a great deal of trouble to reach a company any other
way. I have had many cases where people do not reply to other forms of
messages, like answering machine requests, emails. There are some
bureaucracies that are so security conscious and regimented that they
insist on this type of communication, often after a user/password
login to the section where the form is.

Lewis

In message said:
Lewis wrote:
So when you are visiting someone's house, you expect them to install a
"tiny download" from Google or install an additional browser, just for
you?

Where did I ever say that?
And that only applies to Gmail. You forgot users of all the other
online mail services.

I'm sure they have solutions as well.
Well, that's totally wrong...

No, it's not. hiding email adresses does not prevent (or even slow) spam
unless the email address is never used by anyone for anything, and even
then, chances are good it will receive spam.
Your loss, I suppose.

How do you figure that?
You are also not considering (perhaps intentionally) that the web form can
control the data submitted with specific fields for validated response,
which can also be stored in a database, as opposed to a non-structured
email message of random text.

Oh, I know why web monkeys love them, that has nothing to do with me. I
do not jump through hoops designed by web monkeys./

Lewis

Here's why.
When I used mailto: links on my Web sites my email addresses were in the
clear in the HTML. Hence, they were harvested by spammers. I got to
the point where I was getting 1,000+ spams a week. I had to cancel that
email addy.

Then your mail admin sucks and should be replaced with someone
competent. I have an email address that has been used constantly for
almost 20 years now. I see almost no spam on it.
Munging your email in Usenet is also essential.

Only to prevent the idiots from sending you a copy of replies.

Lewis

In message said:
Lewis wrote:
[snippage]
Beauregard said:
Lewis wrote:
Mailto works great with gmail with a tiny download or works right 'out
of the box" with Chrome.
So when you are visiting someone's house, you expect them to install a
"tiny download" from Google or install an additional browser, just for
you?

Where did I ever say that?
Just above. Gmail needs a "tiny download".

Yes, I said that.
You would ask a friend to install it on *his* computer so you could
send an email to a web site?

No, I never said that.

richard

Am 20.06.2013 21:32, schrieb Beauregard T. Shagnasty:

| Copy the code above and paste it into your contact/feedback form page.

I'd say: don't do that, as the code uses stripslashes() (without any
check, if magic_quotes_gpc is On, which was removed as of PHP 5.4) and
eregi() (which is deprecated since PHP 5.3)--so it seems to be pretty
old code.

Furthermore the script doesn't set a Content-Type header, so the mail is
not unlikely to be unreadable if the body contains non ASCII characters,
let alone that the script ignores issues with non ASCII characters at all.

| $crack=eregi("(\r|\n)(to:|from:|cc:|bcc:)",$body);

Shall this prevent email header injection? I'll be blowed!

Bless you.
For shooting down the great and mighty shitnasty.

richard

Here's why.

When I used mailto: links on my Web sites my email addresses were in the
clear in the HTML. Hence, they were harvested by spammers. I got to
the point where I was getting 1,000+ spams a week. I had to cancel that
email addy.

I moved to using forms where my email address was NOT contained in the
clear in the HTML of any of my pages: It was/is hidden in the form
handler script, away from the bots that scarf up email addresses. My
spam is down to, perhaps, one or two a month.

Munging your email in Usenet is also essential.

There are other benefits and tricks that forms offer but that basic
protection is enough to warrant that one should consider moving away
from mailto: links.

Hell, spammers look for emails in various forums outside of usenet.
Then, there are those scrupulous companies who you do business with that
will sell your email addy in a heartbeat just to make money.

My idea is to surround the mailto: link with hundreds of fake addys.
Just put them in a division which is hidden from view.
As I understand it, they have to remove bad addies by hand.
They don't want their prescious addy getting shut down because of hundreds
of returned mail notices.

Denis McMahon

As I understand it, they have to remove bad addies by hand.
They don't want their prescious addy getting shut down because of
hundreds of returned mail notices.

Wrong. They don't give a damn about bad email addys in their lists, they
don't bother doing any sort of address verification at all, and they
don't care about bounces - most of the email is being sent by spam botnets
anyway.