mail.send - dumb question

Tom Petersen

Ok, I'm 99.9999999999999999999% sure there haven't been any code changes,
since the date stamps of the code are older than any email 'failures'

The email piece quit working using the mail.send. If there haven't been any
changes made to previously working code, where do I look for the problem
now? I restarted the SMTPservice in IIS. Our real email is hosted
remotely, I checked with the admin and she said no changes were made, i.e.,
not blocking port 25 traffic from the gateway.

I guess this isn't ASP specific, but any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

TIA!
Tom

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

What does "quit working" mean? Do you get an error message? If so, what is
it? Otherwise, what is the symptom? What mail object are you using? What
is the from / to address? How many To, CC, BCC recipients are there? Are
you sure the domain of the sender/recipient is allowed in to the mail
server? Was the SMTP server changed to disallow relaying from all but
certain IPs? Is the SMTP server set up to require authentication for
outgoing mail? Are there any SMTP rules that you may be violating?

Tom Petersen

This is part of the message in my C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Badmail folder

Reporting-MTA: dns;sd-school
Received-From-MTA: dns;sd-school
Arrival-Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:51:02 -0500

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed

The email address is valid. I don't get any error messages except for the
above in the folder.

Code snippet:
Set Mail=Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
Mail.To="(e-mail address removed)"
Mail.CC= strmEmail
Mail.From= strEmail
Mail.Subject="Maintenance Request"
Mail.Body= strBody
Mail.Send
Set Mail=nothing
If I do a response.write on all of the variables, they all display
correctly. I have additional code that puts all of this, plus additional
info into a simple access database, all of that info is correct when I view
it.
One To, one CC.

I did not make any changes to the SMTP server. ( I didn't uninstall and
reinstall yet, I may do that next)
No authentication
No rule violations
All of the SMTP settings are set to Anonymous

Tom Petersen

Thanks, the code from 2026 worked. Not sure why the other quit working, but
I won't worry about that for now.

<!--METADATA TYPE="typelib"
UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library" -->

<%
Set cdoConfig = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

With cdoConfig.Fields
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "<enter_mail.server_here>"
.Update
End With

Set cdoMessage = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")

With cdoMessage
Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
.Subject = "Sample CDO Message"
.TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message"
.Send
End With

Set cdoMessage = Nothing
Set cdoConfig = Nothing