Making dates British....

Paul Mason

Hi folks,

We have two servers running ASP.NET systems. One is live and one is
development. I have recently adopted an ASP system from a colleague to
nurse it back to health. On the development server it correctly interprets
dates as being british i.e. dd/mm/yyyy, but on the live server it reverts to
the usa format i.e. mm/dd/yy.

Both systems have the appropriate session variable set i.e. Session.LCID =
2057. Both servers have IIS set up in exectly the same way and I'm not in
any way sure that IIS has a say over this in any case.

Any ideas??

Cheers....P

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Paul said:
Hi folks,

We have two servers running ASP.NET systems.

One is live and one is
development. I have recently adopted an ASP system from a colleague
to nurse it back to health. On the development server it correctly
interprets dates as being british i.e. dd/mm/yyyy, but on the live
server it reverts to the usa format i.e. mm/dd/yy..

This is probably due to the Regional settings for the aspnet user. Check
with the dotnet people for confirmation.

Bob Barrows

Patrice

You have also both system settings and profile based settings for this. Are
they identical ? On which account do they run ? You also have to add the
corresponding language support installed (if I remember this is already the
case for most languages but you may want to check).

Frankly we had once quite numerous problems with this (such as french month
names with US formatting !!!).

My personal preference under ASP is to use my own formatting functions so
that the application doesn't depend on the server configuration. Under
ASP.NET they now handle this as the ASP.NET Application level so that server
setting are no more relevant (which is good IMO).

Patrice

Paul Mason

Hi,

This app is classic ASP. The first bit of spiel was misleading. I'm used
to ASP.NET more than ASP these days.

We've managed to narrow the problem down to being something to do with SQL
server. I failed to mention we have two SQL servers (live and dev again)
and that when we connect the live web server to the development SQL server
the system works correctly. It appears that the two SQL implementations are
both set up correctly, so the only difference now is the fact that the
working server (dev) is Windows 2000 server and the broken one (live) is
Windows 2003 server...

If push comes to shove we'll drop the live system onto the development
server...

Cheers...P