Manually Clear Session Object and State Server

Guest

We are using State Server to host our session objects.

We have several applications running under IIS that will be using the State
Server.

How can one of those applications clear its Session state? If it was in
process, we could just stop and start the web app. We can not just stop and
start the State Server service because it would wipe out state for all
applications.

Thanks,
fm

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Fm,

Thanks for your posting. As for the problem you mentioned, I think there is
no buildin means for managea certain single application's session state
since the state server is run as a windows service on the server and
haven't any particular managment interface. But you may try modifying the
asp.net application's web.config to change the sessionstate mode to see
wheher this can make the stateserver session invalidated. For example,
change the Session Mode to InProc and run the applicaiton, then change it
back to StateServer Mode.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi Steven,

I have tried tried that in the past and I just reconfirmed it that switching
the session from InProc and back to StateServer restores the values sitting
in StateServer.

A hack I tried is setting the Timeout to 1 minute. But the session has to be
idle for the original 20 minutes before this new timeout takes affect.

Quite frustrating. Seems like an even bigger hack will be required like
having an administrator drop an include file on the server that each request
will check to see if it should call Session.RemoveAll or something.

Hopefully ASP.NET and IIS6 will be more robust then the current ASP IIS5
solution for the development team that requested this requirement so they
won't need it.

Thanks,
fm

Guest

Hi Steven,

Another that came to me, can more then one instance of State Server run on a
server?

Thanks,
Fm

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Fm,

AS for instance of StateServer, I think only one is existing on a
StateServer machine because the asp.net statserver is run as a windows
service, you can find it in the server's service list. Thanks.