Mapping users to roles

Tumurbaatar S.

When using Windows authentication mode, the roles specified in
<authorization> section of the Web.config, are Windows Groups?
Or mapping users to roles are made manually, thru code?
Or, in generally, where roles used in <authorization> section are defined?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Tumurbaatar S.,

yes - by default you use the windows groups the user is member of, e.g.

<authorization>
<allow roles="DOMAIN\GROUP" />
</authorization>

Tumurbaatar S.

Thank you!
But, are you sure? May be it is "users"?
<authorization>
<allow users="DOMAIN\GROUP" />
</authorization>

P.S. And one more question (though it is not ASP.NET related)
Anybody knows how to create a Windows user which can
access IIS server (read ASP.NET pages), but cannot login
locally or access shared items thru LAN? I.e. a user to use only in web app.