MasterPageFile problem - accessing another website

reezaali

Hi All,

I wanted to set up my websites like this

c:\websites\intranettemplate
c:\websites\app1
c:\websites\app2

Basically I wanted to have the master pages defined in the template
folder and all other apps would "reference" this folder to get the
appropriate master file that they need to include in their page.

Problem is this...I tried using
MasterPageFile="../app1/MasterPage1.master"
and i get an error saying that i am trying to access a master file in
another directory and this is not allowed.

Is this a security problem in IIS/Web Server that comes with VS.NET
2005 Web Developer Edition Beta or is it a restriction of the framework
i.e. must the master be in your website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reeza.

Brock Allen

Just like pages, master files must reside in the application directory somewhere.
I saw someone else post somewhere about a hack you could do to centralize
the location of files across multiple applications, but I can't recall where
I saw it.

Scott Allen

I saw that post somewhere too and can't find it.

I believe it was the same trick used to share user controls, that is
create a virtual directory (non-application vdir) as a subfolder and
point it to a physical directory of master pages.