math symbols in unicode (grouped by purpose)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    some collection of math symbols in unicode.

    • Math Symbols in Unicode
    http://xahlee.org/comp/unicode_math_operators.html

    • Arrows in Unicode
    http://xahlee.org/comp/unicode_arrows.html

    • Matching Brackets in Unicode
    http://xahlee.org/comp/unicode_matching_brackets.html

    these are grouped by the symbol's purpose as much as possible.

    i made them because i can't find unicode symbols grouped by purpose
    elsewhere.

    The unicode “plane -> block†structure does not group symbols well,
    because the chars are added throughout the decades. Some symbols get
    added in one block, but later on related symbols get added elsewhere.
    For example, binary relational symbols are scattered in different
    unicode blocks. Same for binary operators, or all symbols used for set
    theory, etc. Sometimes a symbol has multiple uses in different math
    fields, so which block it gets added into unicode is not well defined.

    hope it's useful to some one.

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄
    Xah Lee, Aug 13, 2010

  2. On 8/13/2010 5:18 PM, Xah Lee wrote:
    > some collection of math symbols in unicode.
    >
    > • Math Symbols in Unicode
    > http://xahlee.org/comp/unicode_math_operators.html

    I am surprised you do not include the numeric character codes.

    kt

    --
    http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
    "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
    Kenneth Tilton, Aug 15, 2010

  3. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    hi kenny!

    Kenneth Tilton wrote:
    > I am surprised you do not include the numeric character codes.

    i thought about it, but the page would get unwieldy.
    To make it work well one might have to implement javascript so that
    mouse hover can popup a balloon with info about the char... my
    javascript isn't so great... maybe sometimes down the road.

    but if you want a unicode char browser:

    • Emacs xub-mode; A Unicode Browser
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/unicode-browser.html

    i feel that's the best unicode browser/palette/codemap kinda app there
    is. (in my humble opinion, more useful than Apple's Character palette,
    or Windows charmap.)

    if you are not a emacs user, i'd even say download emacs and use it
    just for it just for browser unicode chars. (you'll need emacs23.1 at
    least)

    Xah
    Xah Lee, Aug 15, 2010